Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A new bather

I had a new bird taking a bath yesterday. In fact, it's the first bird I've seen at the bath in weeks. Maybe there's been enough dew on the grass in the mornings to quench the birds' thirsts? Anyway, this bird was enjoying itself... took a bath, left, then returned twice more to bathe again... all in a matter of minutes.

As near as I can tell, it's an eastern phoebe, which according to my bird book, isn't very common around here. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! (Dale?)

I took the photos from across the deck, across the living room, and halfway across the kitchen... maybe about 25 feet or so. :-)

Note added later in the day: Today I saw the house finch in the bath again for the first time in ages! Must be that time of year, huh?

No comments: