Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Card, Cash & Coin Combo

Hi. How is everyone doing these days in this "strange new world"? It's weird, isn't it? Has this surreal feeling about it all. Like it's just a bad dream and we're going to wake up and it'll be life as usual. If only.

Have you been keeping busy? I've been doing pretty much as usual. I have a never-ending list of things I want to sew. Some are very quick projects, which is good for these times. They don't require a lot of concentration or effort, and you get a feeling of accomplishment in no time. Doing something creative is a good morale-booster. Win-win!

Here's a cute little project I highly recommend. It's the Card, Cash and Coin Combo by Erin Gilbey of Dog Under My Desk. I once again was one of her pattern testers, and here's my first tester result.


You actually get instructions to make both of these little pouches. One is a minimal wallet, with just card slots and a pocket for bills. The other holds coins or whatever you choose to put in it.


The wallet has become my go-to for shopping these days, which consists of the occasional only-when-I-have-to trip to the grocery store. It fits easily in my pocket, so it's protected from any virus bugs that may be floating around.


The pair can be used together, and they have the ring tabs on opposite ends so you can carry them back-to-back on your key ring and the openings are on the outsides. Very thoughtful planning! Of course you can make them any way you want or leave them off entirely if you choose.


This first set was made from cork fabric that I received for Christmas. It's not regular cork fabric, though, and I wouldn't recommend the regular stuff for these pouches. This is paper-thin and is ideal here without making the seams too thick. Yet you get that beautiful cork look. Perfect!

That first set was so fun to make that I decided to make another! The fabric this time was a gift from a friend of Jess's, bought when they were shopping together in Seattle (back before life got crazy). She bought it for me because she liked it so much herself, so as a little thank-you, I made her a set of the pouches for her birthday (which for her was a huge disappointment because some very special surprise plans had to get cancelled due to the corona virus). Aren't they pretty? If you look closely, you can see that the silver flower designs have a bit of sparkle. I hope they brightened her day a little bit.


Here's my hand holding them, just to give you an idea of how little they are.


The linings for both sets were from grab bags I'd purchased some time ago. This project is a great scrap buster for using up little pieces.


So here are both sets. Notice that I didn't add the ring tabs on the second set (Jess's decision).


I used spring snaps, just because I thought they looked really nice with these fabrics, but KAMsnaps work great, too. The pattern also has instructions for using an invisible magnetic snap or elastic for closures.


So fun. I have another set in mind from some other pretty gifted fabric. Gee, as I write this, I realize I've been gifted quite a few fabrics... people must think I like to sew! ;)

I apologize for not getting this post written sooner. The pattern is on sale right now at 20% off, but only through tomorrow (April 15th). If you hurry, you can still get it at the discounted price, although it's not that expensive, anyway... only $8.00... still a bargain for such a well-written, detailed pattern. You'll find it here. If you want to read Erin's blog post for more details, that's here. You'll get an idea of how much work Erin goes to in writing her patterns, and she even has a photo of her big pile of prototypes. There are lots of pics of the pretty tester pouches, too.

I have another quick-and-easy project to show you soon. Plus some garments I made from Jess's new line of lucscious french terry fabric which should be coming out soon. Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Cute! And very handy! I’m not familiar with cork fabric- it’s interesting looking. I like the print you used for the lining as well. They go together nicely.

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Jenny! I actually had to splice that lining fabric (inside the card pockets) in order to use it because the piece was so small, but it went so perfectly with the cork that it was worth the extra effort.