Monday, July 17, 2023

Vintage Simplicity 8146

How about a short and sweet post for a change? This is my final (for now, at least) project from Jess’s latest modal rayon designs that she did for Cloud9 Fabrics. This is the Magic Touch print from her Orderly Fashion line.


The pattern I used was vintage Simplicity 8146. It has an elastic waist and not really a lot of fitting to it.


She wanted an above-the-knee length with no ruffle. Easy. So the only adjustment was the usual 2” added to the bodice to accommodate her long torso. Here we have it!


The only real detail was the opening at the top of the back, which fastened with an elastic loop (think hair elastic) and a cute little button that happened to be perfect for that print.


That back detail turned out to be the hardest part of the pattern, and actually it could’ve been omitted because Jess said she didn’t need to use it to get into the dress. 🙄 But it’s worth it for the cuteness factor, plus she’ll never have a problem determining the front from the back. Ha! 

She loves the dress, it fit perfectly, and to quote her, “It’s so comfy and breezy to wear!” Yes, that modal rayon is a great fabric for summer. I love the dress, too - it’s my favorite outfit that I’ve made from these fabrics.

I’m caught up blogging my sewing completions now. I have a bag project in the works, but I think my brain has lost some of its bag construction thinking. I’ve made the dumbest mistakes ever since I started it! Nothing that wasn’t correctable, thankfully… just gave my seam ripper a good workout. That’s what they’re for, right?

No comments: