Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Best tomato cages ever, Take 2

Well, this isn't what I intended to write about this morning, but when I looked out the window first thing, my other subject got preempted.

We had some gusty wind last night (accompanied by .7" of much-needed rain, thankfully). The strongest gust was clocked at 63 mph at our local airport! When I looked out the window first thing, much to my dismay, this is what I saw:


Yep, one of my two tomato plants, in its super sturdy tomato cage, was flat on the ground. It was in the ground VERY sturdily, as Grandpa had helped me stake them. But a 63 mph wind gust is nasty, especially for a plant that is well over 6 feet tall. I think the other plant was saved by the "hedge" of asparagus plants.


The plant was still protected nicely and didn't seem to have suffered any damage, so I decided to see if I could get it back up by myself. Lo and behold, it was easy!! I just lifted it up and pushed those rods back into the wet ground, and voila!


Good as new!! Nothing was bent, and the tomatoes were just fine!


I LOVE those tomato cages!! If you want to know more about them, check out the E Z Tomato Cage website.

No comments: