Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Hmmmmmm.......

It's that time of year again! I put out my hummingbird feeders on Saturday, and the first migrating hummer showed up the next day. The day after that and ever since, it's been rainy, misty, chilly and just plain yucky out. The tiny birds arrived by the hordes and have stayed ever since, apparently not wanting to travel in this weather. I don't think I've ever had so many at one time before! It's been really hard to not stand by the windows with the camera all day. I just culled through 175 photos. Ha! Not an easy job. It's been hard to get good pics, not only because of the bad lighting due to the dark weather, but of course because the hummers are almost constantly on the move, and they move FAST. I did get some halfway good shots, so here are a few of them for you. Enjoy!




They're such territorial, fighting little things. They waste so much time fending each other off, when they could be enjoying their meal. I did manage to get a shot of four of them together at the feeder at one time, though. It's a rare sight.


Mid-air shots are hard, too, because you never know where to focus. This silhouette shot was just plain lucky.


I tried so hard to capture the ruby throats of the males, but again the lighting and movement were against me. Here are the best ones I got.



This next one is just weird. Not the bird... just the shot. Ha!


Finally, a little collage I put together with an iPad app.


I'm sure I'll be taking more hummer pics... always trying for that 'perfect' (lucky) shot!

Meanwhile, sewing is taking place! At least this chilly (60°!) weather is good for something!

3 comments:

Geneviève said...

Those are all great pictures, it can't only be luck! :) I am still amazed that you got four of them feeding at the same time, they must have been very hungry or tired to endure being so close to each other.

I guess I must be a little more to the north than you are, since we have hummingbirds all summer long. If we are lucky, some of them shouldn't leave until mi-september. Fingers crossed!

annie dee said...

I think these photos are wonderful! As I already said - I especially love the first photo. Also now that I look at this entry for the 2nd time, ha ha on the title. Silly

Grandma G said...

Thanks, ladies! And I'm glad someone caught the title. Yes, I'm quite silly at times. :)