Friday, May 22, 2015

Flowers of Newport

Along our walk, we saw lots of beautiful flowers...


And roses - lots and lots of roses that just begged to be photographed:

Some pansies in a planter also caught my eye:

These were really thick and pretty, but I don't know what they were. They covered a large area. The sun on the white didn't make for the best photo, though:

I don't know what these were, either, but they were dainty and cute:

These newly planted begonias are already pretty, but they're going to be 'gorgeous' when they really get going:

Yep, I helped plant those... and can't wait to see how they look in a month or so! I have it on good authority that the hydrangea bushes we planted are putting out buds - yay!

The woodruff we planted behind the hostas below is hopefully going to spread and fill in a good-sized area. The tiny white flowers smell divine!

I told Jess she must give me progress reports on how everything is doing. Maybe she'll send some lovely photos I can share with you. :)

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Happy news/sad news

I mentioned (I think just in the comments) a few days ago that Miss Haily was AWOL. I hadn't seen her since our return from Cincinnati, and I'd about given up hope for her. However, yesterday morning when I went out to feed all the cats, there she sat in the "window" of the hog barn, waiting for breakfast just like normal. And boy, was she hungry! She was hungry for food, and hungry for lovin', and she couldn't seem to decide which she wanted most. :) She was apparently very happy to be back home, and she was purring up a storm! She'd lost a little weight (which she could easily afford) but otherwise seemed fine. I wonder where she'd been, and if possibly she'd left because I was gone. I'll never know. But here she is, quite contented again on the deck:

And back in her favorite pose:

That was the happy news.

The very sad news is that a couple of nights ago Cottonball got attacked by a raccoon and was mauled so badly that we had to put her out of her misery. I'll spare you the details, but I know what happened because I saw it... ON OUR DECK! The 'coon unfortunately got away. It hadn't acted sick or anything - it had been getting a drink out of the birdbath just a while earlier - and the way it ran off when Grandpa went after it, it didn't seem like it would've been rabid. So I did a little googling to see if raccoons actually do kill cats... and I found, much to my surprise, that they DO! They will eat anything. So now I have one more predator to worry about with my cats. Aargh.

And poor little Cottonball. So awful. So sad.

Here's my last photo of her, taken before we left for Cincinnati. She was peeking in the garage door, hoping I'd let her in.

Well, I can't leave you with that. So here's one more photo to brighten your day back up. My beautiful Autumn, in all her kitty glory. :)

Of course, now I'll be forever worried about her...... But hopefully she'll grow up to be as savvy and smart and long-lived as her mama is.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Houses of Newport

While we were at Jess & Alex's, we took a walk one evening and I took lots of photos. First I'll show you some of the houses/buildings. I love the variety and interestingness!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Not quite a turkey hunter, but....

I don't know if Autumn qualifies as a ninja yet, but she seems to be a pretty mighty hunter to me. Just look!

Nope, she didn't attack that woodchuck. It's a good thing, 'cause she'd have lost. Ha.

Now if you want to know the REAL story... I actually took the photos in the reverse order of what they're posted here. So if you scroll back up, you'll see how she's actually backing away. Heheh. 

It made for some fun pics, anyway. I'd just seen her sitting there listening and waiting, and I thought it was cute so I grabbed the camera. I was VERY surprised when the woodchuck stuck his head out!

Yes, my violet blooms are disappearing. :(

Monday, May 18, 2015

My busy week

Well... where to begin! I guess at the beginning... of my photos, anyway. I took so many that it's gonna take a while to sort them out and blog them in a reasonable order. For now, I'll just say that a lot of this was worked on...

... with these people...

Yes, we made a sort of spur-of-the-moment decision to take off for Cincinnati/Newport to visit Jess & Alex. The field crops were all planted, and it just seemed an opportune time to go. For me it was special because I got to spend Mother's Day with my daughter for the first time in a looooong time! :) It was kind of a mad rush to get ready to go (including finishing the tote so I could bring it along... and getting a few blog posts ready to auto-post last week), and then we were gone for almost a week. Whew! Kind of a whirlwind trip that just flew by!

We got to help transform their front yard from a tangle of out-of-control perennials and weeds into an organized flower/perennial garden. It was lots of work, but it's always fun doing it together with someone else, and I think our efforts will be rewarded with lots of beauty as things get growing and blooming.

I'll show you a lot more photos from our visit as I get them sorted out. I also still have some catching up to do around here (like planting my own flowers and garden whenever it dries up enough to do so), not to mention working on the pattern to proofread and test. So stay tuned......