Yes, it's reversible. The band on each side was one of the things I added. I'd seen a cute one here with a band, so I wanted one, too. It wasn't hard to add, but it just made it take a little longer.
I'd actually thought about making this hat already last summer. But I knew that it would need a strap to hold it on in the horrendous winds we get out here on the prairie (like up to nearly 50 mph last Mon. and Tues.!). Yet I wanted the hat to still be reversible. I couldn't figure out a good way to do it, so I never did get the hat made last summer. Then this month I decided to make the hat for the sew-along, so I started wondering again how it could be done. One night at supper the solution suddenly popped into my head! It was so simple!
Here's what I did:
I used a 2-inch strip of velcro to fasten it under the chin, making it somewhat adjustable. So the strap is actually two pieces.
The cool thing is that if you've already made the hat and want to add a strap, you can! I did the buttonholes and strap after the rest of the hat was completed. In fact, here IS Courtney modeling the hat before I finished it! (There always has to be a little goofiness nowadays. Must be the age. I love it!)
The project was not without its struggles. Since the hat is made of canvas (Jess's fabric), that made dealing with the four layers where I put the buttonholes pretty difficult. My buttonholer had no trouble going through it, but I couldn't get them as close to the seams as I wanted, not to mention that I'd intended to make them vertical, not horizontal, but couldn't. Plus it made them terribly hard to cut open! I had to use an exacto knife to cut them, and I did end up cutting some of the stitches, so I used fabric glue to hold them down. It looks a little messy, but it still works, and it doesn't really show under the buttons.
I also had a little pucker problem attaching the brim to the top. It looked better than this BEFORE I ripped out the stitches and resewed it! I should've left it alone. And I wasn't about to do it again!