Sunday, June 19, 2016

Belated update

I meant to post this shortly after my last post, but didn't get the job done. So sue me (as if there's anybody reading anymore besides Geneviève). :)  Anyway, here's an update to that post. These first two photos were taken the same day as those in that post, later in the day. The empty nest and eggs had been found by our pasture renter, and thanks to him (also unbeknownst to him), I managed to brave the long grass, tick potential and nettle to get the pics.

The nest had been hidden just outside the cattle yard fence next to a corner post, in the middle of a patch of nettle.


A closer look revealed the empty eggs plus two that hadn't hatched.


Three days later, I had stepped outside early in the evening, and I heard the mama turkey clucking to her chicks. I couldn't see her, but I happened to look up and saw the chicks lined up on a tree branch across the driveway! I ran for the camera, but by the time I got back, there was only one left up there.


I couldn't believe they were big enough already to get up that high to roost, but this last one flew down quite easily. Apparently their mom decided this wasn't the best place to spend the night, so off they went.


They grow up so fast! Look below at the second from the left one, how it's stretching its wings. It must be a male learning to strut already! ;)


Off they went, but only 7 of the original 9 chicks. Predators can be hard on them when they're that little, and no doubt it's hard for mom to defend that many at once.


They ambled in the direction of the garden...


... as I headed back to the house... and I haven't seen them since. That was a week ago.

9 comments:

annie dee said...

Adorable! I'm still reading too. Somehow my brain can't put these wild turkeys in trees (they should only be on the ground). I love that you have the photographic proof!

Emily said...

I didn't know that turkeys nested in trees! We have a few around our area, I love seeing them.
Thanks for sharing the pics!

Grandma G said...

Glad you're still here, Annie Dee! ❤️ Thanks for hanging in there, even though my posts are getting so sporadic. I'm glad I have the proof, too, because it is kind of unbelievable. LOL

You're welcome, Emily. I happened to catch a few shots of some actually roosting last year. Here's a pretty fun post: http://aphotosworth.blogspot.com/2015/06/look-what-i-saw-last-night.html
There's another from July, too. If you click on the "turkeys" tag over in the lefthand column, you can see them all. :)

Jessica Jones said...

I wish they could stay the small cute size and not get bigger.

Grandma G said...

You and me both, Jess! Bigger is certainly not better in this case.

Jenny said...

I can't help but wonder if this family is related to George from last summer. Perhaps that showy little guy is George Jr.?

I saw that the latest Ikatbag pattern has been sent off for testing. I can only assume that means a new project for you. Now that it's summer vacation, I'm hoping to get a few projects completed myself (currently working on a crochet project, and up next is a quick sundress!)

Grandma G said...

Yeah, Jenny... that's gotta be a little George, Jr.! :) Y'know, I haven't seen them since I took those pics. Hoping they moved to the neighbors'. ;)

Yep, I am LiEr's official "testing lab", so it will be a busy week ahead. Good luck with your projects!

Geneviève said...

Your "only" reader is more than one week late! Oups!

Before they're able to get high in the trees, do the turkeys spend the night in their nest on the ground or somewhere else? I can't imagine the turkey mama carrying her babies up high like Rainbow does with hers!

Also, just as Jenny said, I'm pretty sure too that George is the one behind all of these babies. He seemed to be really fond of your farm and your birdbath Grandma G. Isn't it the perfect place to raise a family? :P

Grandma G said...

Well, Gen... where have you been?!?! Busy on IG or someplace? ;)

I'm sure they don't go back to their original nest but I suppose to someplace safe on the ground with their chicks all tucked in under their wings for the night.

It does seem like an awful lot of families get raised around here! Hahaha!