Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Heidi Foldover Clutch & Wristlet

Here's another bag that is on its way to Quilt Market. Before I got the batch of fabrics I showed you yesterday, Cloud9 had sent three smaller samples they had of Jess's new Holding Pattern barkcloth, so I actually made this before I made the Harriet tote. This is also a Swoon pattern, the Heidi Foldover Clutch & Wristlet. It's a free pattern, in case any of you want to give it a try!


The flap has a zipper closure and a magnetic snap to hold it down.


There is a zippered pocket on the back...


... but unfortunately, I somehow managed to mess up when following the instructions, and the pocket is sewn shut, which I didn't notice until the bag was all finished. Grrr!! (Actually, it's "haha" by now. Better to laugh at yourself than growl, right?) I thought I was following the instructions correctly, but when using patterns with diagrams - as this one was - it's harder to tell what's going on. I much prefer patterns with actual photos of the sewing process. I'm still not sure exactly where I went wrong, but I'd better figure it out, because I have another one cut out!

Next up (tomorrow?)... one more project for Quilt Market!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Another cute purse! I love the colors. Green is my favorite color and green and white are the school colors for the high school where I teach. It's too bad about the pocket. It was probably a lot of effort for a decorative zipper. I have faith that you'll get it figured out for the second try.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Jenny! Gee, it sounds like you need a bag out of this fabric to carry your things to work in. ;) Add it to your list. You have plenty of time, since the fabric won't be released until next July. Ha. And yeah, I'll figure out the zipper thing.

Geneviève said...

Better laugh than growl that's for sure! Still, the sewn shut pockets have become common on women's pants (grrr!), so maybe your bag follows that trend? :P

What a fun spot for your tag! Just like Jenny, I love that fabric. :) Now, do you have a deadline for the next bag?

Grandma G said...

Umm... yes, I was trying to make the bag follow the pants trend. 😜😂

Thank you, Gen! No deadlines right now - yay!!!