Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Winter scenery

I thought I should come back and let you know I'm still alive. I don't have any new sewing projects to show you (Christmas kinda got in the way there), but I am now working on a couple of things. Courtney finished a project that I forgot to post about, however I'm going to see if I can get her to write a guest post about that. She didn't come here yesterday because she was home sick, so maybe next week we can get caught up.

Our winter weather's been crazier than usual this year! We had a very warm November, which boasted these lovely mushrooms on the 28th!


Two days later, it looked like this around here.


It was a bit hard to take after being so spoiled with the warmth, but it did make for some pretty photographs. Minor compensation.



Then we had an extremely cold December, with the temp going down farther than -20°F one night, which produced lovely frosty decorations on the windows.


I had posted the photo below on Instagram, and someone who works for ABC TV asked permission to use my photo on TV! I said yes, of course, but whether it got used or not, I'll probably never know, because I didn't see it. Anybody remember seeing this?


Here are some more frosty pretties.




Believe it or not, we had heavy RAIN on Christmas Day! It was also very windy and near freezing, which resulted in a power outage for a couple hours or so.

We've also had some colorful skies, like this sunrise on December 30th...


... and plummeting temps brought these sun dogs a few days later (I had to take the pics from two different windows, so I spliced them together)...


... with this amazing scene that evening after the sun had just set!


The cold is good for something nice to look at, if nothing else!

One more scene, not so nice to look at...


... was these persistent turkeys sneaking across our backyard. Ugh. This was the first time we've had them during the winter. NOT my favorite birds! ;-Þ

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Those are beautiful pictures! Looks like George and the family have decided visit for the holidays? Do turkeys normally go south for the winter like other birds? If not, I wonder where they normally go. Hmmm.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Jenny! No, turkeys don't migrate south. I don't know where the ones around here go. Wild ones probably take shelter in a grove or something. These are only semi-wild, originally brought by a neighbor years ago. I don't know if the flock normaly goes back to his place for the winter or where they go.

Geneviève said...

Argh! Those cats get free food and shelter, they should start helping on the farm and learn how to hunt turkeys! 😂

Grandma G said...

Yes, Gen, they certainly should! Especially since the turkeys even like to steal their food! 😜

Geneviève said...

So the turkeys are squatters AND stealers? Pffft!

Grandma G said...

Among other things.......