Friday, June 23, 2017

Diagonal Flat Bottom Pouch

I've returned to the sewing machine after our trip to Jess and Alex's, but it's been a little slow getting back into the groove. Summertime gets busy with other things. However, I've completed a couple of projects, the first of which I can't show you for a bit. It's a gift, so I don't want to take a chance of spoiling the surprise before it is received. I'll show you as soon as it's safe.

I just finished the second project yesterday. Cloud9 Fabrics asked me last week if I would test a new pattern for them. I said I would, so they emailed me the PDF pattern and shipped me the fabrics and supplies they wanted me to use.

Here are the fabrics I received. The print is a canvas from the Lines and Shapes collection by Leah Duncan. The solids are Cirrus Solids by Cloud9.


Included in the supplies was a beautiful gold metal zipper. It looked so lovely with the fabrics. I couldn't resist taking a picture of it installed.


The fun and unique thing about this pattern is the diagonal design....



.... and it has a method for getting that diagonal angled just right from corner to corner.

Here's the pretty zipper again in the completed pouch.


The dark blue cirrus solid became the lining.


So there you have it. A new twist on a basic pouch. It also has a flat bottom created by boxed corners, which are very easy to do. Thus the pattern is called the Diagonal Flat Bottom Pouch. It will be a free pattern, and you'll be able to find it soon on Cloud9's Make it Sew projects page. Take a look at that page - there are lots of free cool patterns there!

Another sewing project awaits me (ha - more than one... my list is long!), plus Miss Crafty Courtney has just bought fabrics (well, her mom did) for a couple of 4-H projects that yours truly will be helping her with. Lots of fun stuff coming up, and Grandma G will be busy!

10 comments:

Liz said...

Lines and Shapes is such a great collection, I wish it was available in quilting cotton as well! This pouch is so beautiful, and the fabric is just perfect for it. Great job!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Liz! Y'know, this canvas isn't very heavy or stiff at all. It topstitches very nicely and doesn't make the stitches go wonky like a heavier canvas tends to do. It isn't really much heavier than the cirrus, and I would think it could be used for a quilt. However, I'm not a quilter, so what do I know? You could contact Cloud9 to see what they have to say about it.

Jenny said...

Cute pouch! Looking forward to seeing what Courtney has planned. Now that it's summer vacation, I really need to think about seeing something. Hmmm...

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Jenny! Or you could sew something! 😉 Gotta love that auto suggest. 🙄 I can't count the number of times I've seen "see" when the writer meant "sew". 😂

Miaismine said...

My daughter loves making pouches - I just had to forward you post to her and a few other friends! I love the diagonal design! Just perfect! And then you used yellow! I'm so glad you shared on Show Off Saturday! Thank you!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Miaismine... glad you like the pouch! And thanks for passing on the word about it - Cloud9 should be very happy with all the positive feedback it's gotten. 👍

Geneviève said...

I know what you mean about sewing in the summer: the list of projects doesn't get any shorter, but spending time in the basement never seems as interesting as being outside. 😏

You did a great job on this pouch, it is stunning! The golden zipper is the perfect addition to it. You also managed to resist kittens and the beautiful summer weather to make it, I tip my hat to you!

Can't wait to see what other projects summer (and Courtney) will bring you!

Grandma G said...

Geneviève, my friend... are you trying to sneak in as "Unknown" again?!? 😂 Anyway, thank you very much! 😘❤️

annie dee said...

That's a great design! Fabric looks luscious! Can't wait to see what you're working on and to read about doing these corners! thanks for the tip about the patterns. I'll be browsing the collection shortly.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Annie Dee! Hope you find something fun to sew! 💕