Monday, September 25, 2017

Sunrise Saddle Bag #2

I've been thinking for awhile that I need a new purse. Although I still love my Mini Daytripper and have been carrying it around everywhere, I tend to load the kitchen sink and everything else into it, and it seems just too much to carry for a quick trip to town for groceries or an evening out for supper.

Last May I tested the Sunrise Saddle Bag pattern for Dog Under My Desk. I really liked it but thought it was still a bit too big for what I had in mind, so I decided to try making one at 85% of the original size. I simply selected that size on my printer and reprinted the pattern.

I also wanted to use my favorite fabric from Jess's Holding Pattern barkcloth that she designed for Cloud9 Fabrics... and I wanted to use pleather. I made the main body pleather and the flap barkcloth. Here's how it turned out.


Last Christmas I found a package of metal zippers in my stocking (great idea, Santa - thanks!), so I used one of them on the back of the purse. I love the look! I also added some rivets on the strap and its tabs... just because I like the extra bling.


The pattern calls for a twistlock closure, but since I didn't have one in antique brass to match the other hardware, I chose to use a magnetic snap.


Everything went together very smoothly. I thought I might have trouble with the final topstitching going through all those layers at the seams and strap tabs, but my good ol' 47-year-old Kenmore came through again. I used a topstitching needle, which helped, and I did hand crank carefully over the thickest spots, but I had no problems getting through them.

I am totally pleased with my bag! I wouldn't change a thing about it. Now I think it needs a matching wallet, don't you?

Oh, and here's the obligatory pose with it on me, so you can see the size. Grandpa happened to get home just as I'd finished it, and I asked him to be my photographer. It was soon to get dark, so I didn't bother to change into better clothes... sorry about that... but it still beats the bathroom mirror selfie, right? ;-Þ At least the cat that had been winding around my ankles decided to step away for two seconds, although I wouldn't have minded sharing the limelight with her. Ha.


In case you might be interested in this or any other Dog Under My Desk patterns, they're all on sale right now through October 1st at 25% off using the code word PACKING at checkout. Erin and Bob are busy packing up everything to move back to the USA from Australia! Yay!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

That is a very striking bag. It looks so professional! The rivets are a nice touch. 😃

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Jenny! I'm happy to add that I didn't even mess up one rivet when setting them this time. 👏😄

Geneviève said...

I love it! The topstitching on the strap and the metallic zipper really make your purse look super professional. You make such gorgeous bags, I'm glad you finally made one for yourself! :) Also, two thumbs up for Santa.

annie dee said...

Splendiferous! And a thing of great beauty. Honestly. The bag is fantastic. The size is terrific. And the fabrics - ooh. Delicious. Well done!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Gen! I'm glad I made one for myself, too, though this is certainly not the first. 😉 Yes, Santa did great! 👍👍💕

Thank you so much, Annie Dee! 💕 It turned out even better than I'd hoped!