Friday, September 21, 2018

Tiny Cowboy Boots

Some months ago - April, actually - Jess showed me a super cute pattern of various tiny baby shoes that could be made from fabric. Her exact words were: "Look at the baby cowboy boots! I wish I liked sewing more or I'd make some for Megumi's baby. A gift from America. :)" Not a hint or anything. Nooooo. Ha.

My response was: "They are adorable! I know someone who does like to sew... little putzy things like that, even!"

So that's how I ended up making very tiny cowboy boots. And here they are!


It's a good thing I do like making putzy little things, because they certainly were that! First there was all the topstitching. It took some time and practicing so that all those stars would have a uniform shape and even stitch lengths to each point. But once I got one figured out, they went pretty smoothly. This was on a layer of chambray plus Pellon fusible foam.


Since I had no topstitching thread or local source to buy some, and I wanted things to show up better than with just a single strand of regular thread, I experimented with using two threads in my needle along with one in the bobbin. I thought I had read that somewhere... or maybe I made it up... I don't really remember. But the important thing is that it worked! Yay! Below are the tabs. The second from the left shows the single bobbin thread, and the other three are the double-thread topstitch.


The next challenge was sewing that toe piece onto the top. It doesn't look too bad just pinned there, right?


These are the shapes that had to be joined, though!


I used lots of Wonder Clips trying to hold that fleece down, because it really wasn't supposed to show.


But show it did... and actually I liked it better this way!


Using the fleece was what caused the biggest challenge. The pattern didn't require it, but let's go for the cuteness factor, right? It was thick and a bit stretchy, and of course it covered up the stitches and the fabric edges, so I was somewhat sewing blind. Ha!


That skinny little bottom band was tricky enough to sew on, not to mention with fleece...


... and I'd never have accomplished them without more Wonder Clips!


But I did it, with only minor puckers. Then came the soles...


... which nearly made me lose my sanity! ;)

The pattern called for cotton fabric for the bottom lining, but that didn't seem like it'd be as comfy, so I used fleece throughout. And don't they look cozy when all was said and done?!


Yes, very tiny.


My favorite photo assistant gives you another size perspective.


Before I made these, Jess and I talked of how cute they'd be in pleather. These were actually supposed to be just a prototype, but it's a good thing they were a wearable prototype, because there's no way I'd do them again in pleather! Hahahaha! Or maybe even with fabric. For sure not with the fleece. 'Maybe' with fleece fabric. Maybe not. But Megumi, if you ever read this, know that they were a labor of love! And your little guy is just about the cutest baby I've ever seen! When he grows into them, if you feel like sending me a photo I can post of him wearing them, I'd be delighted! But it's not required. ;)

The pattern I used was an Ellie Mae Designs (#K113) by the McCall Pattern Company. I may have since made another of the tiny shoes from the pattern. I'm still sane. Barely! ;) But they were fun, and soooo cute, too! You'll see them later. They haven't been gifted yet.

8 comments:

Rochelle @ eSheep Designs said...

Oy... I cannot imagine the aggravation that I would have felt trying to sew this! That said, I totally understand the labour of love thing that keeps us going on some projects. Kudos!

Grandma G said...

Thank you so much, Rochelle! ❤️

Sewmom18 said...

They are really cute and very well done.

Grandma G said...

Thank you very much, Sewmom18! I appreciate your stopping by! 🙂

Geneviève said...

Every time I look at those boots, I get nervous thinking about those tricky curves. How patient and dedicated you are! That topstitching is really something too!

You're right about the fleece showing, I think it looks better too. Actually, I think your boots look better than the ones on the pattern photos.

Speaking of the pattern, I noticed there are four different designs... Do you plan to sew them all? :D

Grandma G said...

Actually, Gen, I was a little nervous myself. 😜

Thank you!!

No, I don’t plan to sew the other styles, except for the one other that I’ve already done. I don’t think the other two would stay on as well. That’s my excuse. That and preserving my sanity. 😉

365 Dresses said...

Absolutely adorable! I love tiny anything and these are perfection.

Grandma G said...

365 Dresses... Thank you very much! ❤️