Friday, January 11, 2019

Retail Therapy Reusable Shopping Bag

My favorite pattern writer, Erin (Erickson) Gilbey, from Dog Under My Desk, has been at it again. Just before Christmas, she came out with another sweet pattern. I didn't have time to test it then, but I did proofread it for her, and last week I finally got around to sewing one myself. Here it is.


If you haven't already guessed from the blog title, it's the Retail Therapy Reusable Shopping Bag, the pattern for which can be found here. It was easy and fast to sew and was also delightful because there was no interfacing, zippers or hardware to deal with. I used a KAMsnap closure for mine because I think they're pretty besides being easy and fun to install. As you can see, the bag folds up pretty small and can maybe even fit in your purse. (I also had the idea that if it doesn't fit IN your purse, you could use the strap to fasten it to your purse handle.) Here's what it looks like unfolded.


It's not lined but just has a facing, which makes for a smaller rolled-up bag.


It's BIG, and holds a lot of stuff. Annabelle offered to give you a little size reference along with the groceries.


The pattern is written with Erin's usual attention to detail, with lots of helpful photos, and she has a great method for putting it together. It also makes a great stash-buster if you have some fabrics you don't know what to do with anymore. My outer fabric has been around here for possibly 30-40 years! Yikes!!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks good! This is a tempting pattern, but I already have a set of roll up bags like these. Maybe I’ll wait til it’s on sale and pick it up to make some for gifts for next Christmas.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Jenny! Yes, they'd make great Christmas gifts!

Geneviève said...

I had lots of fun making mine too and I've been searching for excuses to make more. Maybe next year, some people will receive grocery bags on Christmas day. :)

Grandma G said...

They’re so fun to make,Gen, maybe you’ll have to reconsider your decision not to participate in your craft sale next time. I bet they’d be great sellers! 😉