Monday, June 15, 2009

Update (read previous post - "A messy morning" - first)

[I had to do a new post for this, because if I added pics to the previous one, it'd screw up all the formatting, and I don't have the time (or patience) to fix it right now.]

I just checked the bubble globs on the grass. Here's what I found.

Each one had at least one of these little critters in it.

They must really mature FAST, because I found nothing but a tiny 'something' that was indistinguishable in any of the bubble globs this morning. Now they all have these larvae in them. This last one had three!

I still don't know what they are.

The answer: Grandpa called his crop consultant, and he said they are Meadow Spittlebugs. How aptly named, huh? Now we all know.

A photo of a mature one can be found here, and there's some information about them here.

2 comments:

Grace said...

COOL! Just like having our very own Grandma G's BUG-O- PEDIA. Personally , I would hae never touched 'em. You are so adverterous. (;-}

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been checking your site more often. I could have solved the mystery immediately because I have seen them many times. I only know them as spittle bugs.
The foam must be their protection from birds. It probably tastes bad.
I haven't tried it though.
Not going to either.

Dale