Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blackbirds by the bazillions!

I was on the phone with Jess this morning when I happened to look out the window, and there were blackbirds everywhere! They were flying around and in the trees - thousands of them. Then all at once it was like I was in the middle of a blackbird cloud! They were just thick flying past the house on both sides. The photographer in me made me get off the phone and grab the iPad, hoping for a video of the "cloud", but they were gone too fast. So I grabbed the DSLR, snapped on the zoom lens, put on a winter coat and headed out the door.

These first two shots were taken from by the house, out across our bean field to the southwest. I wanted to make sure I got some kind of shot before they got away.



The birds kept heading west, so I ran out past the cattle shed to try and get some closer shots. They were very thick in the trees back there, too.


They were up and down - in the air and on the ground, and back up in the air again, and boy were they noisy!

As I was culling my 100 photos(!) later, I noticed there were a few red-winged blackbirds in the flock, too. I cropped this next photo so hopefully you can see some. I also uploaded everything in quite a large size, so click on any pic to see it bigger.


I cropped this next photo to show how some of the birds looked like round dots as they happened to have their wings tucked in at the split second I snapped the shutter. Then, after cropping, I noticed that there's another bird in there. Click on the pic to enlarge it... you'll see it just slightly above and to the right of center. What is it - a duck?

Update: Grandpa says it's not a duck but more likely some kind of a hawk who is out to choose one of those blackbirds for his lunch!


The air was just crazy-thick with the birds! (Anyone think Alfred Hitchcock?) I've never seen so many at one time!


Gradually they kept getting farther and farther away. I thought this next shot of them against the wind towers was kinda cool.


So that was my adventure for the day. I went back in and called Jess back and we finished our conversation!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spectacular! Wish I could have seen them! Thanks for sharing what's happening where you live! As a city person I appreciate seeing country stuff!

Audrey

Jessica Jones said...

I love the "dots" and the red-wings. Really cool!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm happy to show you city peoples the country life... when I get around to it. ;)

Caroline Bedard said...

Wow! It reminds me of all the snow geese we saw in Quebec in May. Crazy! We never have that many birds passing through Santa Clara county CA.

I think your husband is right, it looks like a hawk to me. Luckily we have hawks in our neighborhood, so while I'm no birder, those I can sometimes identify!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Caroline, for the confirmation on the hawk. He should've gotten a pretty good meal there. ;)

Geneviève Thiffault said...

It must have been impressive (and a litle eerie) to be surrounded by so many birds. Great shots! :)

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Geneviève. Yes, it was quite impressive, especially when they were going past the window! Eerie, too! :)