Below is a comparison between the regular size tote and the enlarged one. There's just enough difference to give me the extra space I needed, about a couple inches all around.
I added six purse feet on the bottom to help keep that pretty barkcloth out of the dirt.
I also decided after cutting it out that the enlarged inner pocket was going to be too deep at that size, so I trimmed a 2-inch strip off the bottom and put the pocket about 3 inches from the bottom of the bag. Then I got a "brilliant" idea for using those 2" strips of main fabric and lining. I made a tube out of them, inserted elastic, and sewed it to the side of the lining opposite the pocket. I thought it might be useful for keeping some things upright. It worked okay, but I don't know if it was worth the bother. I probably wouldn't do it again.
The other change I made was to add a 10-inch strip of foam to the center of each strap. It worked well and I appreciated the padding for my shoulder.
I love my new bag, and it's already been on its maiden voyage! We spent the first week of April at Jess & Alex's in Newport, Kentucky (Cincinnati area). Here I am in their backyard with my new bag, so you can see its size.
Jess took the photos, and I couldn't decide which one I like best, so you get to see me TWICE! Besides, they got a new gate, which made for a pretty cool background. :)
Of course I took some photos of other things while we were there, so I'll be showing them to you soon. Jess and I worked on a little sewing project, too, and of course I'll be showing you that. Also, if you're interested in seeing my Takeoff Tote #2, it's here. (The link to my first one is at the top of this post.)