Thursday, January 2, 2020

Christmas gift sewing

Wow, where did the last month go? It guess it flew by with Christmas preparations, Christmas celebrating, and post-Christmas recovery. :)

I did a little sewing of gifts this year, and it was unusual in that I made things for the "boys" for a change. Grandpa really liked the Benjamin Dopp Kit I made for him last June, so I decided to make one for our son, too. I had to order new waxed canvas, which I got from A.L. Frances Textiles on Etsy. It's excellent quality but stiffer than what I made Grandpa's kit from, so it proved to be much more challenging to sew with when it came to thick seams. Much more. Eek! I like how it turned out, though, and it's sturdy enough to last him probably the rest of his life, considering the amount of traveling he does. Heheh. Funny how he happened to get some items to put inside it, and they weren't even from me. Hmm.... that just occurred to me. Santa must've known....



The pattern was from a free tutorial found here. Grandpa said the purse feet, though a nice touch, weren't really necessary, but I added them anyway because they're the only thing that holds the base in place inside. And I just like them. I added the strap, too, for carrying convenience.


Our son-in-law does do a LOT of traveling, and since it's better that he keep his items in a clear plastic bag for airline inspections, I didn't make him a dopp kit. Instead, I made him a passport holder for when he travels out of the country.


I didn't have a pattern for that. I googled passport holders and just made up my own from the images I found. I had some leftover cork, and it was perfect for this project. It made for no seams to finish, so it was a rather quick project. Well, except for getting the "monogram" lined up just right. The perfectionist in me isn't quite pleased, but it wasn't do-over-able.

There's also room for credit cards, receipts, boarding passes and/or whatever.


I made him a little "passport" so he'd know what it was for.


If I'd been a little more talented, I'd have made the cover to look like an actual passport, but I'm not, so he got this:


Ha! And that concludes my Christmas sewing.

Some "Crafting with Courtney" went on during Christmas week, so hopefully I'll get that posted before too long.

No comments: