Monday, June 29, 2020

Linden Sweatshirt #2

It’s “soon”, right? Ahem. In my previous post, I showed two of the french terry fabrics that Jess had sent me from her latest fabric collection. Both were made into Linden Sweatshirts, this one being the short sleeve version. This one involved a lot of decisions, and many pics were sent to Jess for her opinions. For example, Jess wanted a self-fabric band at the bottom, so which way was the best to run that band? The differences were subtle, but here you can see the four possibilities. Can you figure them out?


Then there was the neckline, also self-fabric. The question here was whether to topstitch or not. It looked fine without it, but...


... the answer was yes, do it. Topstitching makes it look just a little more professional.


Topstitching was also then added to the band at the bottom, which defined the band a little more, too. You can see which placement selection was used here. It was upside down to the fabric of the main body, and placed for a little zigzag effect, which also helped set off the band.


Jess had seen where someone else had done a split band, which she thought was cool. It wasn’t that hard to do, so here it is with the split at the side seam.


Here’s the whole view. After some a lot of hair pulling during the process, I ended up very pleased with how it turned out!


I hemmed the sleeves with a double needle, which also finished the edge...


... and matched the neckline. Super neat!


Yeah, I couldn’t resist trying this one on, too. I needed to see if that size would work for myself. It does, and I may make one for me, but I want to make the neckline narrower.


Jess likes the neckline for herself, though. As well as the whole shirt.




So another success. Another comfy shirt. I love french terry!

Now I’m almost caught up blogging my makes. I have one more, but it hasn’t gone to its recipient yet, and though she’s seen a pic of the outside, there’s a little surprise inside, and I don’t want to spoil that, so you’ll have to wait. Oh, and Jess has plans for one of her knit designs, too, so there’ll be that, but she hasn’t sent me the fabric yet. But I always have plenty of things in the sewing queue!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

This is a great print, and you did a beautiful job on all that top stitching! Definitely the right choice for the bottom band. I don’t know that I would have considered all of those options. But then, I don’t often make clothes and I generally don’t worry about the patterns in the other things I make. I will look forward to seeing the mystery project, and the TBD knit item as well!

The next fun thing I want to make is a “magic pouch” (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4A_5iWbJbA). Unfortunately, I can find written directions anywhere (at least not in English... I might have found them in German, but I don’t remember enough German from high school to be sure!). I think I can manage just with the video though. I just need to get a zipper. I don’t currently have any long enough!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Jenny! That bottom band needed to stand out a bit, otherwise why bother with a band? So we needed to figure out the best way to accomplish that. I’m just so thankful for the internet and the ability to send photos instantly!

I like that little pouch! I watched the video. I may need to add that to my queue. I’m looking forward to seeing how yours goes first. 😉