Monday, June 15, 2020

Pocket Pal

Once again I’ve tested a new pattern for Linds Handmade Designs. This one was quick and easy to sew. It was designed for leather, faux leather, cork, or vinyl, so there are no seams to finish... yet it’s fully lined. 

A couple of years ago or so, Jess bought a box of real leather scraps from Amazon. We intended to use them as accent pieces on a bag or something, but never came up with the right project for them. This little wallet turned out to be the perfect project, and the whole thing is made from just a small piece (plus cotton fabric for lining). So it’s a great scrap buster, besides being a very handy pocket-size wallet. It’s called the Pocket Pal, and here is my tester version:


I had never sewn with real leather before, so this was an experiment for me. It went very well - I had no problems sewing it at all. I did, however, have trouble photographing it - ha! I took the pic above with my DSLR camera, and it’s the only one that shows the true burgundy color of the leather. The rest are iPad pics, and it was determined to make the color brown. Oh, well.

There are three card slots and a zipper pocket for cash. The handy flap closure fastens with a snap to keep your cards secure. I used a spring snap, but KAMsnaps work well, too.



The pattern calls for a strip of 2-1/2“ ribbon to line the card slots, but cotton fabric works well, too, which is what I used. I cut it slightly wider and pinked the edges, but that probably wasn’t necessary because the edges are glued to the lining, so not really any chance of frayage or slipping.


It’s a very slim little wallet...



... and fits perfectly in your pocket.


I got in some more practice using edge coat, which I had done previously on the Slim Sling. It’s easy and rather fun to do.

I love this pattern! In fact, I may have already started a second Pocket Pal. I’ll show you that later. If you’re interested in making one, the pattern can be found here. I think the price is a great deal, because it includes SVG files that you can use if you have a cutting machine, and as always with her patterns, Linds has made a how-to video.

What to sew next? I guess I should finish up some masks that I’ve started. Have you made any? Maybe more importantly, do you wear them? 

4 comments:

Jenny said...

This looks like a very handy wallet! And you did a great job on it.

I am currently sewing masks myself (literally- I took a break between masks to play on my phone for 5 minutes). I am working on a batch made with various math-y prints for some of my fellow math teachers at my school.

I do wear a mask anytime I am inside a public space. Most businesses around here (Metro Detroit area) either require them or strongly suggest them. I don’t mind them- especially when they are made with fun fabric!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Jenny. I love it a lot and am having a hard time sending it off to its recipient (Jess) - ha!

May I ask what pattern you're using for your masks? I've been using the one from Craft Passion, which is a very popular one. I've gotten it to fit well, but I still have trouble with my glasses fogging up. I've used different things in the channel for nose pieces, the best being the little steel things I saw advertised on FB and ordered. They're the best, but I still can't get a good enough fit. I guess I just have to play with it and shape it some more. If it's snug enough to keep my glasses from fogging, then I feel like it's pinching my nose closed a little and can't breathe well. Bah. At least I don't have to wear it very often... mainly for buying groceries.

Jenny said...

I’ve just made the pleated “surgical” mask style. The more fitted/shaped style just seem like too much hassle to get a good fit, and I wasn’t interested in trying to figure out sizing for all 4 of us in my family. I put 3 pleats in each side. I’ve also been making them with cotton prints on the front and flannnel on the back (against the face) since research has determined that a layer of flannel improves the effectiveness of the masks.

I make the pleated style in two sizes- one starting with a 6x9 inch rectangle of fabric (and sewing with a 1/4” seam allowance) and 6 inch pieces of elastic for the ear loops, and a slightly larger size that starts out 7x9 and has 7 inch pieces of elastic. The smaller size fits me and both my kids and the larger size forts my husband. I have also been using 6 inch pieces of seam binding/hem tape to make a channel for a pipe cleaner nose wire (I have a ton of vintage seam binding that my mother in law gave me, and I also had a ton of pipe cleaners!). I don’t wear glasses most of the time (I just have reading glasses) so I don’t have the fogging issue, but my husband says he thinks the wires do help some.

I don’t know if any of this helps, but it sure is something we are all dealing with! It is now officially required that people wear masks in public spaces statewide here. I hope you get yours adjusted to your liking!

Grandma G said...

Thanks for the info, Jenny. I may give that style a try. I think we’ll be dealing with wearing masks for a long time to come, unfortunately.