Friday, October 9, 2020

H2O 2GO Sling

It was suddenly time for another pattern test again. When Linds Handmade Designs gets an idea in her head for a new bag, it isn't long before she has a pattern written for it! I only had a short time to get some waterproof canvas ordered, and fortunately it was shipped quickly and even arrived a day sooner than predicted. Isn't it pretty? I love the vibrant colors in the flowered print!

It came from Fabric Wholesale Direct. They have so much to choose from, and good prices!

Here's what those fabrics became. It's the H2O 2GO Sling waterbottle holder.


It has this ingeniously installed side pocket...


... that is big enough for a phone, plus you have the option of adding card slots, or as I did, another slip pocket.

I had also ordered some webbing to use for the strap. I found an Etsy shop (AGraffSupplies) that carried some nice webbing and other supplies and was located actually only a couple of hours from here in Iowa. I placed my order, and believe it or not, got a shipping notification in just 11 MINUTES!! Can't beat that. Then of course, the postal service took it south to Des Moines and then back north the the Cities before they brought it here. (Where's the rolling eye emoji when you need it?)

Then I had to decide which to use. They didn't have a blue to match the canvas, so I had to decide between black and fuchsia, both of which would've worked nicely.

Fuchsia it was! Then to make it coordinate with the bag, I added some of the print canvas as an accent. Those Wonder Clips sure do come in handy, since the canvas shouldn't be ironed.


I had, however, bought this little leather roller tool awhile back. It worked nicely for creasing those edges.

Ta Da! The finished strap!

And the finished water bottle holder, along with the biggest water bottle we have in the house.

It could, however, hold one considerably bigger... like a giant hydro flask.

Here's a closer look at the pockets. The zipper is installed such that the pocket only opens so far, so that whatever is in the depths of the pocket doesn't fall out. Brilliant!

So here you have it (and it looked so nice by my petunias that I couldn't resist).


The pattern was just released today, so if you want, you can grab it (or anything else in the shop) at a 20% discount through this weekend! Also, as always, there's a video tutorial to demonstrate how to make the sling and give you some helpful tips. That can be found here. The pattern is listed as an intermediate pattern. That's because of the thick seams you'll encounter when sewing the base to the exterior with the pocket. I had no trouble going through the layers with my 50-year-old Kenmore, however. That machine sews through 'most anything!
 

4 comments:

Jenny said...

What a fun pattern! Your fabric choices are fantastic and I think you made the right choice with the fuscia strap. I have a crocheted water bottle holder that I made several years ago and it works great, but I like that this bag has the outside pocket for a phone and some cash/cards. It’s a smart design, and you sewed it beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience required to make and sew that strap. Thanks for documenting and sharing! Enjoying these last days of fantastic Fall weather. Peace! Audrey

Grandma G said...

Thank you so much, Jenny! ❤️ Yes, that outside pocket was such a great idea, and being able to design it to come together so perfectly takes a talent I don’t possess. I sure enjoyed sewing it, though! 😊

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Audrey! Yeah, a little patience was required for the strap, but it wasn‘t really hard to do. It was definitely not the hardest part of the bag. 😉

Yes, this fall has been fabulous! Couldn’t ask for more beautiful, perfect harvest weather. 🍁🍂 It will be hard to see it come to an end... and it will. 😏