Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Zip Mask Case

In my previous post, I mentioned that I'd tested another pattern. This time it was another one by Erin of Dog Under my Desk, the Zip Mask Case. Her patterns are always very detailed and easy to follow, and this one was no exception. It was fun to make, because it was so quick and easy (kinda what I needed after sewing two garments and doing another bag pattern test). Even the curvy zipper was easy, thanks to Erin's know-how.

Here is my little mask case, shaped just right for those masks we're all supposed to be wearing these days.

It has boxed corners to give it a bit of depth.

It also has an inner pocket (which might be hard to see in this next photo) to hold a small bottle of hand sanitizer, gloves, and/or a plastic bag for used masks.


There's a loop at the end of the zipper where you can add a swivel clasp hook like I did... or a D-ring... or leave plain for hooking a carabiner.



So there ya have it, a very handy little pouch. Actually, it could be used for a lot of things besides masks, too. I'm sure I will be making more.

Here's another photo for size reference.


Erin has also written (in her very detailed, easy-to-follow way) a couple of FREE patterns for two different mask styles, with several options for elastics, nose wire channels, filter pockets, etc., and tips for tweaking to get the best fit. The patterns come in sizes from extra small to extra large, so a size for everyone.

Here is my fitted style mask...

... and this is my pleated style one.


Both patterns can be found here [plus there is a "Tip Jar" (requested by her followers) just in case you really appreciate all the work Erin's gone to in making these FREE patterns the same quality as her other ones and want to contribute something].
 

4 comments:

Blue said...

The last 3 projects are great! I'm glad to see a mask pattern from Erin. I know you love her patterns and I have been looking for a good one now that I have to go to work at an office.

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Blue! Yes, I do love her patterns. She always has every detail covered, with actual photos of all the steps. She did the same with the mask patterns, even though they’re free! I hope you find a favorite in her patterns. Stay safe and well!

Jenny said...

Looks like these masks are a good fit for you. I hope they are keeping your glasses off free!

I’m going to have to make some more masks to add to our collection soon- my school district is heading back to in person learning in November, and between my kids and myself, we are going to need plenty of masks.

Grandma G said...

Hi, Jenny... I don’t know if I’ll ever have fog free glasses... or the perfect fitting mask. Erin’s patterns are excellent, but everybody’s face is different, so some tweaking may be required. The fabric makes a difference, too, for breathability. I’ve not been totally happy with any I’ve made. I’ve even bought 3 different ones. One was awful, but the other 2 are pretty good... one of those being quite expensive but also made from antimicrobial fabric. The other, which I just got yesterday so haven’t worn it yet, is the least expensive but the best fit, and it uses filters. So I have plenty of masks, for someone who rarely goes anywhere but the grocery store. 😄 I’d recommend that last one, so if you’re interested in where I got it, send me an email (link on this page).

I hope your return to school goes well.. if you actually get to do it. It seems the covid numbers are climbing pretty rapidly. Our school is hybrid so far and is going well... so far.