Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Courtney’s creations

I promised I wouldn’t wait five months before posting again, and I didn’t, but the time has sure been flying by and I’m so good at procrastinating! 

Soooo… Courtney did some Christmas sewing. She wanted to make a few zipper pouches. Here’s her very-first-ever zipper pouch! She did a fine job!


That fabric was some she chose from my stash. For the rest of the pouches, I happened to have three already cut out for a project I was supposed to sew for Cloud9 Fabrics at one point, with the fabrics being chosen and sent by them. But then they changed their minds and wanted something else, so these fabrics have been sitting for several years, with me thinking I’d still sew them up someday. I didn’t, but it turned out to be a good thing for Courtney. It saved her a lot of time, which was scarce as it was, so all she had to do was the sewing part. So she made 3 more pouches in short order!


Great job again!

Next up was a Christmas gift for her dad. Months ago I’d gotten a tiny ratcheting screwdriver set for myself, mainly for getting at some of those awkward screws on my Sailrite sewing machine. It’s been a great help, and when I showed it to Nate at one point, he said he might need to borrow it sometime. I mentioned it to Courtney, thinking it would be something she could get him for his own, and she liked that idea. 

Then I thought it’d be handy if it had a case to store those little things in. So I made this prototype for my tools so I could get the size down and help Courtney make one.



I’d made it out of waxed canvas. She chose another color of waxed canvas for the one she made, and here it is. She even got the new experience of installing a metal snap.



She sewed that on my Kenmore, so since I needed something to do so I’d be close by in case she had questions while she was sewing, I decided to make another Tiny Bin on the Sailrite machine. I used both those waxed canvas fabrics, and since those are Alex's colors, I gave it to him. Hopefully he found a use for it.


Here it is with my original Tiny Bin. Cute, huh?


Courtney has also taken up crocheting! She’s made so many cute things… I wish I had pics of them all. Here’s what she gave me for this past Christmas - a sea turtle! I think it’s super cute!


The Christmas before, she’d given me a caterpillar, so here are the two friends together. So fun!


She’s also made a walrus, several hedgehogs, a toucan, and a few other things she’s mentioned but I haven’t seen. My favorite of all her crocheted things is a huge lion. It’s so awesome, and she took it to the State Fair last summer and received a blue ribbon! She’s a girl of many talents, and I’m soooo proud of her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney is blessed to have a Grandma with superb sewing skills. Knowing how to sew will serve her well in the future. Way to go Grandma! Peace! Audrey

Grandma G said...

Thanks so much, Audrey! (Also for not giving up on me.😘) Sewing with her also gives me some precious one-on-one time with her, which is scarce these days with her busy schedule. 🥹