Monday, August 6, 2018

Gadget Guard #4

I bought something for myself a couple weeks ago. I don't use my PC much anymore, instead doing almost everything (except blog posts, which unfortunately I can't do) from my iPad. When it comes to lengthy emails or something requiring a fair amount of typing, I get tired of the ol' two-finger method, and I finally decided to check into getting a keyboard to use with the iPad. I found a nice one on Amazon, battery-operated and with Bluetooth. It didn't cost as much as I expected. Here it is.


I love it, and it works great! I don't use it all the time... just for the lots-of-typing stuff... but when I do, I find it very helpful.

I'd been meaning to make a new Gadget Guard for my iPad anyway, because the only one I have that really fits it is this one, which is useful for around here, but it's not very classy, y'know? So I decided to make one that would fit the iPad and keyboard together, and I used this barkcloth designed by Jess awhile back. By the way, this is the front pocket, after I'd pleated it. Can you see the pleat?


Yes, there's a pleat in there, although it's slightly off-center. It's also somewhat narrower than what the pattern calls for, in order to make the design line up, but that's fine, as the iPad charger is small and doesn't take up much room. It took some thinking about how to get everything to line up right... it kinda twists my brain every time I get to fussy cutting something like that, but it worked! Here's my new Gadget Guard, completed.


I love that the pattern is customizable for any size gadget. See what a nice snug fit it provides?


Since the keyboard is only ¼" thick, the iPad still fits nicely by itself, too. Of course the Gadget Guard is padded with foam (Soft and Stable, in this case) to provide protection.

Here's a closeup of the barkcloth. I just love its texture!


The Gadget Guard pattern is by Dog Under My Desk. As always, I highly recommend Erin's patterns. They are absolutely the BEST! I've tested a lot of them, and I know how much work she puts into them and how she does her best to make sure her customers (even inexperienced sewers) end up with terrific looking bags! Incidentally, she's working on a new pattern for a zip-around wallet that looks pretty fantastic! It'll be ready for testers very soon (this week?) and available for purchase hopefully before the end of the month. Watch for it!

Now just for fun, here's my photography assistant, a.k.a. my bestest photobomber! If you follow my Instagram account (grandma_g415), you've seen plenty of pics and videos of her.


She's 9 weeks old, beautiful, crazy-fun, and I love her to pieces. And she currently lives in the garage... even though I swore I'd never have cats/kittens in the garage again. Ha! Long story. ;)

2 comments:

Geneviève said...

I'm amazed by your GG! The print matching is incredible, nicely done my friend! It looks like a perfect fit.

How do you like your new keyboard?

Grandma G said...

Thank you very much, Gen! ❤️

The keyboard is great - perfect for long chats! 😉