Thursday, August 9, 2018

Sewing with Courtney - 4-H project

Hold onto your hats, folks... here I am with the second blog post in a week! I know - shocking, right?!

The 4-H Fashion Revue suddenly came around Tuesday night, and now I'm free to post the photos of Courtney's garment construction project! So let's get to it... here she is, cutting out a maxi dress! I even let her use my Martelli rotary cutter, which she definitely favored over the other ones I have (as do I).


She did all the cutting and all the sewing herself. I only gave some guidance, particularly with the pattern instructions.


She made faces at me occasionally as I was taking the requisite project photos. This is the only one I figured I could get away with posting. Ha!


There was some hand sewing in a couple of small spots. She's really good with the ladder stitch, since she's used it on other projects, too.


Probably the trickiest part to sew was the casing for the waist elastic, since it was inside the dress after the side and back seams were sewn. She took lots of care to make sure she didn't get any extra unseen fabric from underneath into her seams.


This is the pattern she used. It was a great one for sewing a first dress.


Here is her version. 


The fabric she'd chosen was a modal rayon, which was nice and flowy.


We had another windy day for our photo shoot, which was a bit frustrating, but I think it actually helped to show the flowiness of the fabric.


I should've had her lift her hair so you could see the drawstring that gathers the top and ties in the back. Oh, well... just imagine a bow under there. :)

She paired it with a white vest for the Fashion Revue, and here she is modeling it. She took top honors for her construction!


Also for the Fashion Revue, she modeled a purchased dress. I think this outfit is just so adorable on her!


Her last outfit was a "recycled" one that she put together. It also got top honors. So cute, huh?


That's it for the Fashion Revue, although she did play piano in between the modeling, but I could barely see her, so I have no photo of that. Courtney has lots of other projects for the County Fair, both for 4-H and open class, but I didn't help with those and don't have any photos. The dress-making kept us busy enough this year. :)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Courtney, it looks like you might have a career in fashion designing! I really like how you use colors, and the fabric you chose for your dress is perfect for the pattern you used. You're so lucky to have a grandma who will share all her sewing skills with you--and to have a 4-H club, too! Good luck at the fair :)

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Karen! I’ll be sure to pass your words along to Courtney! 💕

Geneviève said...

You shared your favorite cutter?! :P Courtney is very lucky. ;)

It seems like Courtney did a wonderful job with her dress. Bravo! It was quite an ambitious project in comparison to last year's skirt. It's really fun to see her making progress. :)

Grandma G said...

Yes, Gen... the Martelli cutter has another fan! 😁

She did do a terrific job and rated a Grand Champion! 👏 Thank you! After that dress, I wonder what next year’s project will be like!