Thursday, October 18, 2018

AG Doll Footie Jammies... and other stuff

I didn't think I'd be showing you this for a while (I'll tell you why in a bit), but I guess I can do it, so here goes....

I happened to come across another Pixie Faire pattern a while back that was so cute I couldn't resist. (Have you heard that here before?) It was the Footie Jammies pattern. Could you have passed this by?


The pattern calls for 4-way stretch fabric, and I happened to have some stretchy velour that I'd gotten in an online grab bag several years ago. I also had some ribbing from back in my T-shirt sewing days when my kids were little... like 35+ years ago(!), and they worked together nicely.


The stretchiness was necessary for the jammies to fit properly. It was a bit challenging in places, but it also was forgiving when it came to seam allowances. The biggest problem I had was the ends of the ribbing above the zipper. They're kinda wonky, but Kit doesn't care. ;) I'm still very pleased with how the jammies turned out.


Soooo... the reason I thought I might not be posting for a while... here it is...


Yup, that's me. And that's my right wrist inside all the padding and bandage. (Of course I'm right-handed.) I tumbled down the three steps in our garage and landed on the cement floor. All because of a cat. If you know cats at all, you know how they yowl if they even 'think' you're gonna step on them... and you automatically jump, right? Well, I jumped and missed the step and it was downhill from there. Though it could've been way worse, I did a pretty good job, anyway. The surgeon put in a plate and 9 pins!

That was on the evening of Oct. 8th. (Good timing, as it was rainy and Grandpa was home and not out harvesting.) By now I have pretty good use of my fingers, but as you can imagine, typing is slow. Incidentally, the brace thingy keeps bumping the home key and sending me into a panic when all my painstaking work disappears! Ha! Thank goodness Blogger automatically 'Saves' often! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting my stitches out and a regular (less bulky) cast on next Monday.

Living one-handed, left-handed, is pretty slow. It takes forever to do anything. But I get there, and I'm blessed to be having no pain.

To make life even more interesting, we got this on Sunday. Exactly 6 months to the day, after our horrendous April blizzard. NOT a welcome sight to see!


Fortunately, it started melting quickly and was all gone in a couple days.


Actually, today it topped 70°! I'll take it! Crazy weather, anyway.

Don't look for me back here anytime soon. Not only is it too hard to type, but I CAN'T SEW! :( Well, I might be able to sew a little, but I can't use the iron. So 'bye for another 5 weeks or so... till I can finish the really cute project I had almost done before this happened.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Super cute footie pajamas! I always thought it would be fun to sew doll clothes but my daughter isn't all that interested in dolls! Oh well. Sorry about the broken arm, I hope it heals quickly! My cat, who is grey and blends in with everything, is often underfoot on the stairs, esp. when I'm carrying a basket of laundry! I'm convinced one day I'm going to fall right over her...

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Emily! 💕 Yup, those darn cats... always underfoot. I’ve had the same thoughts of “one day”... and I was right! 😂 Still, we love our cats. 😻 Just be careful. 💕

Geneviève said...

Oh dear, it never crossed my mind that you could have been home alone when the accident happened! Thank heavens it was raining! Let's hope for a quick and painless recovery. :) It'll leave you plenty of time to plan your next sewing projects. ;)

Kit's pajamas are super cute. She'll be warm and cozy this winter.

By the way, I saw my first snowflakes today. They melt right away, but it was NOT a pleasant sight. -_-

Grandma G said...

Thank you, my friend!

Yeah, I’m not sure what I’d have done if he hadn’t been here. Time to plan... yes, there seems to be plenty of that. 🙄 But I AM planning! 😉

Ugh on the snowflakes! 😖 Glad they were short-lived. Hopefully warmer weather is on the way to you. We had 64° here today, 👍🏻

Barbara said...

Such beautiful work, as always! So sorry to learn of your terrible accident! I just took care of my son's mommy cat who had five babies while staying with me for 2 1/2 months. I was scared to death I'd fall when they overtook the house! I'm keeping one of the kittens, and being very, very careful just walking around the house. It's probably a bad idea to have a new kitten, but I have missed having one for so long. He's good for me; my BP dropped 30 points! Sewing helps, too.

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Barbara! Hmm... maybe that’s why my BP is always on the low side - cats and sewing! 👍🏻 But yes, one needs to be careful because they’re always underfoot... and kittens move so fast! They’re worth it, though, for all the fun and love. Enjoy! ❤️