Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Strappy Baby Shoes

If you saw my post about the tiny cowboy boots, you may remember that I said I'd also made a tiny pair of shoes from the same pattern. They've been gifted now, so I can show you, and here they are!


Yes, very tiny! Even tinier than the cowboy boots, actually, since I made the smallest size. Yes, they were fiddly to make. Very fiddly. But not as bad as the boots! :)

I didn't take many progress pictures, but here are a couple.


The soles have a layer of fusible foam for cushioning (although I don't imagine they'll get walked in much - ha) and to help them hold their shape. There were definitely some tiny curves to sew.


I chose these because of the three shoe designs in the pattern, I figured these would be the most likely to stay on a baby's feet. The straps are fastened with KAMsnaps. That was the fun part of making them, because the snaps are so easy to install. The rest was total fiddliness... but the cuteness factor kept me going. Every now and then I'd hold them up and go "awww" and giggle a little. :)


The grandparents of the baby are very good friends of ours, and we occasionally get together with them for supper, so I knew they'd deliver the gift for us. I wanted to see their reaction to the shoes, so I needed to wrap them somehow so that the gift could be opened and inspected without harming the wrapping. ;) I decided to make a little boxy pouch that could be unzipped! I had enough of the shoe fabric left, so the box even matches the shoes.



I used a free pouch tutorial I found online. I don't even remember which one, but there are bazillions of them out there if you want to make something similar. I measured the shoes and adjusted the pouch pieces, and it turned out just right.


So there ya have it! I'm sure the shoes will be outgrown quickly, but they could be used for a decoration on a shelf in the baby's room or something, right? ;) They were just for fun, and I got my kicks, so mission accomplished all the way around. The shoe pattern was by Ellie Mae Designs (#K113) for the McCall Pattern Company.

4 comments:

Geneviève said...

Those tiny shoes are the cutest thing ever! 💛 I hope we'll get to see a photo of the baby wearing them at some point. 😉

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Gen! 💕 I hope so, too. Maybe I’ll have to drop a hint. 😉

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a great little gift. What a lucky baby.

Grandma G said...

Thank you very much, Kathy! 💕