Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Harbor Hipster

This post got delayed awhile, due to our crappy, ever-raining, dark, dreary, not-good-for-photos weather. I'd taken pics but wasn't at all happy with them, so finally got some re-takes. Actually, I did not take them myself. Jess and Alex came for the holiday weekend, and with them came two days of PERFECT(!) weather, so knowing Jess takes fabulous photos, I asked her to do them. I'm so glad I did - they turned out so much better than my previous ones. Plus, I may have learned a little something about getting nicer photos, too.

So here we have the Harbor Hipster, the newest pattern by Dog Under My Desk, which I was privileged to test. I love testing Erin's patterns. She always has such unique ways of doing things that are so helpful in making her bags come out looking great, and I always learn a tip or two in the process.


I know that Erin makes a bazillion prototypes herself before she sends her patterns to testers, so my job is never very hard to do, and I end up with another great bag! This one is just so cool - I love it! It's just the right size for a quick trip to town or going out for a walk. It even holds a water bottle if you happen to carry them. Because the back side is flat, it fits nicely against your body and is very comfortable to wear.

Through a lot of work, Erin managed to make this curved zipper front not only fit perfectly to give the bag some depth but easy to sew. VERY easy!


Inside there's a zippered pocket plus a divided slip pocket.


On the back, there's another zippered pocket, which gets sewn onto the bag very easily, even though it may look complicated. That Erin's a genius, I tell ya! 


That pocket is very easy to access and perfect for a phone of any size or whatever else you may want to put in it.


There's an adjustable crossbody strap so you can carry it across your body or just on your shoulder, however you prefer.



Here I am in my fancy pose (ha), giving you an idea of the size of this bag.


The pattern can be purchased here. I apologize for not getting this post done in time for you to take advantage of the discounted price, but Erin's patterns are definitely worth the full price and more, they are so good.

When I sewed this, I took a bit of a risk in using some heavier fabrics. The outer print is from Jess(a.k.a. How About Orange)'s  Holding Pattern line of barkcloth that she designed for Cloud9 Fabrics. The inner lining is from Jess's most recent design for Cloud9 - her Business Class rayon. I used a solid canvas for the straps and also the back and back pocket lining. The only place that got a little thick sewing was where the strap connectors are attached to the bag, but my good ol' 49-year-old Kenmore got the job done with no problem.

Did I have fun matching up that print on the outside? Let's just say that I like the challenge of fussy cutting, and this was definitely that! It nearly fried my brain, to tell you the truth. But I love how it turned out - even better than I'd hoped. Hurray!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pattern matching makes that bag look fabulous! Another fine sewing project.
Good fancy pose!

Audrey

Grandma G said...

Thanks a lot, Audrey! ❤️ It’s a pretty fabulous bag even without pattern matching, too. The fancy pose - ha!

Geneviève said...

So you get a fun visit AND a private photography class? Lucky you! :)

Erin's patterns are so neat, they are a perfect match for your flawless sewing and your fussing cutting skills. ;)

Also, nice posing! We rarely see you on the blog!

Grandma G said...

Yes, it was a great weekend all around. Good food, too! 😋

Aww, thanks! 😘

That rarity shall continue. 😜