Thursday, June 6, 2019

Enya Wallet

I was asked by a new-to-me designer, Damjana of Apple Green Cottage, if I'd be willing to test her newest pattern, the Enya Wallet. I'm always interested in new patterns, and it looked simple enough, so I said yes, even though the test ran over the Memorial Day weekend which meant, since Jess and Alex would be here, I'd be getting a late start.

The wallet turned out to be much more than I'd anticipated from just seeing the initial photo of it! It's filled with pockets, both zipper pockets and slip pockets, plus 8 card slots. So the pattern had a lot more to it than I'd expected, too. In fact, it has 101 steps. That said, I made it, although I didn't complete it before the testing period was over. But I DID complete it just yesterday.

I only thought to take one progress photo along the way. These are the two zipper pockets. I did add a facing, which the pattern didn't call for, just because I like the completely finished inside of the pocket, plus I like that the lining fabric doesn't show around the edge of the zipper on the outside.


Here's my completed Enya Wallet... front:


... pocket under the flap with magnetic snap for security:


... back with zipper pocket:


... which has the hot pink lining:


... inner zipper pocket, with lining matching the flap (and my tag which is glued on because I didn't think of it till the project was all done - AGAIN!):


... and the card slots with two slip pockets behind them:


The pattern is very clever in how all those features come together. It makes for a very sturdy little pouch. Although the pattern is supposed to be beginner-friendly, I think I'd find it intimidating if I were a beginner. But if you're ambitious and patient, you can end up with a very cute little wallet that can be carried with a strap, or without the removeable strap as a clutch. I love how mine turned out, and I hope Courtney does, too, because I made it intending it for her and her ever-present iPod. ;)

4 comments:

Rochelle @ eSheep Designs said...

Nicely done, and I love how the colours of the fabrics pop. I think we all label patterns "beginner" more often than we should, but it's so hard to decide sometimes.

LOL at your label problem — I have the same issue with mine!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Rochelle! 🥰 And all beginners are different, too. 🙂

Geneviève said...

Love, love, love the fabrics you used! <3 The scalloped one is super cute!

When you told me about the wallet, I didn't realize it would be such a great fit for an iPod, good idea!

Grandma G said...

Thank you! My personal designer helped pick them out. 😉

Yep, iPod, phone... and most anything flat. 😊