Thursday, January 29, 2009

A tiny surprise

Yesterday morning as I was checking my amaryllis plants, I discovered an extra plant growing in one of the pots. Can you see it along the edge of the pot?

Try a closer look.

It's an impatiens plant! Apparently a seed landed in there last summer when I had the amaryllis outside.

Have you ever noticed what impatiens seed pods are like? They're little rolled up things... they kind of remind me of a crescent roll... about a half inch long. If you squeeze one between your finger and thumb, they burst open and the seeds pop out. It's kind of a cool little surprise. On their own, the pods burst open when they're ripe enough and the seeds pop out. And this time one of them popped into the pot above.

I'm going to leave it there. It'll be interesting to see if it'll survive and bloom. It's so tiny, though, that I'm going to have to make sure I keep it watered so it doesn't dry up. I'll keep you posted on its progress (providing there is progress). It's like a tiny bit of spring!

No comments: