Thursday, July 28, 2011

After the rain

Yesterday morning I noticed how pretty my mini rosebush looked with raindrops still on it. I couldn't resist snapping a few pics. I was very pleased with how this turned out (click it to enlarge)!


I kept that little rosebush in the house over the winter. It did okay while it was getting the south sunshine, but once the sun got higher in the sky and no longer hit the rosebush, it got very straggly looking. It would also lose a lot of leaves every time it got too dry because I forgot to water it, since it was in the bedroom Courtney uses... and out-of-sight-out-of-mind. I cut it back a LOT before I set it outside this spring. It's now catching up and blooming quite nicely. I won't be bringing it back into the house this fall, though. If I didn't have cats, I could put it in the living room where it'd get better attention and sunshine longer. But I'll give up the flowers before I'll give up my cats. ;)


Here's what's blooming in the wildflower bed now. These black-eyed susans are beginning to take it over. That's okay... they're easy.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do the cats bother it if it's in the living room window?

Dale

I agree that you've captured a very nice shot there.

JHNickodemus said...

Yay for black eyed susans. And for plants that do better left to their own outside!

The Luedtke Family said...

Lovely black eyed susans! Mine never seem to want to come back year after year. Yours are gorgeous!! Wintering over plants inside for summer time outside is a skill I do not possess.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, everyone!

Dale, the cats (well, Josie, that is) even bother the plants when they manage to sneak into the bedroom where I keep them. :( The hibiscus will have to be in the living room this winter, so we'll see how that goes. Willow used to chew at the flowers on that.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh,I like the rose! I tried making it my desktop background, but it loses some definition. Still very pretty. (Actually, I had Marco make it my desktop background :))
Gwen