Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quick and easy

When Courtney goes to her real daycare 3 days a week, they take naps on cots every afternoon. She decided that she now needs a pillow for those naps. (Because 3 of her friends had brought pillows, it turns out. Peer pressure already? ;) ) She and Mommy figured that was a job for Grandma G. :) Yep, right up my alley... and a fun job besides!

I remembered some fabric I've had in my stash for probably 30+ years, and I figured it'd be perfect. I'll save you the boring details of prewashing the fabric, sewing up those horrendously difficult straight seams, and just show you the results. Here it is!


Don'tcha love the fabric? Holly Hobbie, even... remember her? And wouldn't this just make you feel like taking a nice, long nap?



I thought the kitty was so perfect for Courtney, too.


I also made the pillow for inside the pillowcase. I wasn't sure what size to make it, so I Googled "child's pillow" to find out... they're approximately 14"x 20". It worked out so great... I took an old standard pillowcase and cut it right in half... perfect size! Also when I made the pillowcase, the fabric was the perfect width to just cut off the needed length, without any extra cutting. Could that be any easier?!


Courtney is such a good "stuffer" that I knew she'd love to help stuff it with polyfill (of which I'd gotten a deal on a 5# box way back when I made the chickens), so we did that yesterday. It was a pretty quick process, and she tried out the pillow a couple of times to get it 'just right'. Then all I had to do was sew up the side seam with my serger, and it was done!


I put a zipper in the pillowcase so it's removable for washing. It was a zipper I had on hand and was a little short, but better that than make a trip into town for one. It works... it just takes a little extra squeezing to get the pillow in and out. Hopefully Mommy won't have to do that too often.


Here's the pillow in action, with my favorite little model:



Oh, my... it put her to sleep right away!



She fakes it well, anyway! ;)

4 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

That is SUCH a cute pillow! It actually looks like Courtney on the fabric. Especially with how you/she love kitties.

Grace said...

She will love that little pillow for years to come. I still have a couple around the house from our girls. Courtney uses them for her dollys.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm secure enough in my maleness to say it's a very cute pillow and can see how fitting it is for Courtney.

Dale

Grandma G said...

Thanks!

Yeah, Dale... your maleness is still very much intact.