Monday, January 7, 2013

American Girl doll outfit #1

Santa brought Courtney an American Girl doll for Christmas! I happened to find out he was going to do this (don't ask... I have a hotline to Santa) just a few days before, so I figured I'd have (or rather, take) enough time to get one outfit made for her before we had our Christmas on New Year's Eve day. I immediately started searching for free tutorials/patterns. There are tons of them out there, and I have downloaded a lot of them for future sewing projects. I thought this one would be cute for winter, and not too complicated to make. Here's how it turned out:


I had to come up with something quick to embellish it with so it wouldn't be too plain, so after considering numerous possibilities, I decided on stars, because Courtney has learned how to draw stars, and she has fun making lots of them. They were pretty easy to draw (yeah, I know how, too!), and I just appliqued them on with the straight lines.

(When I was making the cap, before tacking down the pointed top, it started reminding me of an elf outfit. Ha!)

Here's a not-very-good picture of the outfit on Courtney's new "Marie Grace":


No, Courtney wasn't sick, although she looks like she might be. She has very tired eyes, yes, from a lot of holiday late nights. But actually, that's her look that says "I'm not doing this willingly". She was having too much fun crafting with Auntie Jess, and she didn't appreciate being pried away from that to change clothes on her doll and let Grandma at her with the camera before the lighting got away. ;) So I just did a quick shot. At least you get to see the size of Marie Grace and her new outfit.

It's hard to see in the photo, but the pants are too short. The person who made that pattern must've had a shorter doll, because hers fit. I think, if Courtney's willing, I'll get the pants back and add a dark green cuff at the bottom to lengthen them. (Mommy, if you're reading this and I forget to mention it, maybe you can send/bring the pants along sometime!)

I'm sure I'll be making many more AG doll clothes. It'll be fun - this is a nice size to sew for, as in not so tiny as the other ones I've made. Of course I'll show you what I make. :)

4 comments:

annie dee said...

Cute. Does the length of the pants (or lack) bother Courtney? You could probably just leave this outfit as is.

Grandma G said...

Thanks! I don't know if it bothers her or not. It probably bothers me more than it does her. ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Grandma G, Your granddaughter is so cute. The doll outfit you made is GREAT!!! Thank you for letting me know that you had a problem with the pattern. I have sent you an email and hope it helps.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Maridith!