Tuesday, November 10, 2015

For women only

I decided to be brave and show you my latest sewing project. However, I'll tell you right off the bat that I'm not going to model it. Courtney's not, either. So ha!

Here's what I started out with. Can you guess what it was going to be?


If you guessed a bra, you're right!

Several months ago, I'd seen advertised a Craftsy class on bra-making, and it was half-price. If you're not familiar with Craftsy, they have tons of video classes, kits, supplies and instructions for making just about anything. I'd never tried a class from there before, but this one interested me, so I bought it.

I watched the whole video series (streamed on my iPad), and sometime along the way I ordered the kit pictured above from Sweet Cups Bra Supply.

Then I procrastinated. I guess it was mainly because I was afraid it wouldn't fit right. The class instructor (self-proclaimed "Fairy Bra Mother"), who does a beautiful job, says from the get-go that the first one is a practice one, mainly for learning. In my opinion, it's kind of a spendy learning experience, but I guess it's the only way to get it right.

I finally got brave a couple weeks ago and got started. I was rather disappointed in the response (or rather, lack thereof) to questions I asked the teacher regarding size, so I went ahead and made it the way I figured would work best. It was quite easy to sew, although there were a lot of steps. Each step was demonstrated in the video, so it took any guesswork out of it. I had no problems with the sewing. Here is my completed bra.


Sooo.... did it fit? Sad to say, it did not. I was very disappointed, because I'd been so hopeful... but I wasn't really surprised. Am I going to try another? Yes! I had already bought another kit when they had a sale a few weeks ago. I have some major adjusting to do for a good fit. So I've asked my questions and uploaded photos (of this one on me), and now I'm awaiting answers... again... and getting a little frustrated about that. I guess I shall have to prod a bit. 

So that's it. I enjoyed the process so far, and I do have hopes of finally getting a bra to fit nicely. Would I recommend the class? Absolutely! And a tip - you can always get it for half price via Bra Makers Supply, which is the home company, located in Canada. Sweet Cups Bra Supply that I mentioned above is for their American customers.

By the way, the kits contain enough fabrics for at least two or three bras, but you need to order extra elastics, etc., to go with them.

So there you have it. I'll let you know how the next one turns out (but still won't model it). Now I think I'll go back to bag-making for a while. There's no worry about fit when making a bag!

For any of you men who ignored the title and made it this far... pretty boring, wasn't it? ;)

16 comments:

Jenny said...

How interesting! And quite impressive too! all those tiny details (like the trim) really look like that could be store bought, not handmade.

I'm not sure I would have the patience to sew something that involved knowing it probably wouldn't fit and I'd have to start all over again. But then I don't have a huge problem finding bras that fit me (just have to make sure the straps adjust enough- I'm only 5'1" and I have a bit shorter torso, even for that height). Kudos to you for doing it once and being willing to do it again.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Jenny. I waver sometimes about whether I really want to try again or not, especially since I still haven't gotten a response to my questions, but since I already have the 2nd kit, I may as well. It's been 42 years (since a biopsy) of trying to get a good-fitting bra, so if I can finally make one that actually fits like they're supposed to, I'll be in heaven! :)

kathy said...

Brave. I've sewn just about everything except these. I've enrolled in a couple of craftsy classes but have been hesitant about purchasing more because of streaming quality and a need on my part for more editing at their end.
Are you having someone measure you or do you do it all yourself? I found that having someone else measure was a tad more accurate than me doing it. Plus the objective viewpoint offered by my friend who has taken many fitting classes.

Geneviève said...

No answer yet? This is getting a little ridiculous :(

Finding a bra that fits is always such a trial, but making one doesn't seem to be much easier! In my case, attempting to make a bra probably would probably require even more bravery than to post it. Ha!

Maybe after a few bags (and an answer) you'll feel more inclined to try again. :)

Grandma G said...

Kathy, I measured myself. The biggest challenge is the unequal sides, and I don't think having someone else measure me would've helped with that, although it might've with the overall smallness. Interestingly, though, my measuring came up with my best RTW size, so I thought I was good.

Geneviève, still no answers. Today I quit being patient and start prodding. One bag done. ;)

annie dee said...

Brave indeed. I'll second that opinion. Never thought about sewing lingerie myself and I'm with Jenny - don't think I have the patience for it. Looks really nice though. Bummers about the fit. I hope there's a way to tailor this one or that the next one comes out fitting better. Good luck!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Annie Dee. I sent another question/comment this morning, but so far no response. I may have to just wing it again. :(

carolinelb said...

Ha! My second guess was just lingerie, not bra, just because there was so much fabric!
Your work is meticulous, as always.
I would be fuming by now, with the lack of response to questions.
Have you ever tried the bras with stretchy knit cups?

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Caroline! And still no response. I just left another post in a different discussion section... will have to try to figure out what to do if that doesn't produce any results.

I always buy bras with stretchy cups. They're the only kind that reasonably fit both sides. The fabric in the kits is somewhat stretchy, so that's good. I'm just waiting to hear whether to go up cup sizes, band size, by how much, and/or whatever. I don't want to end up with another one that's unwearable.

I may take this first bra apart and reuse what I can, because I'm not very likely to find someone who can wear it. But that's gonna be a job, because not only is it hard getting stitches out of elastic, some of them are a triple zig-zag stitch. Ugh.

Blue said...

You are quite the seamstress! I think you can contact customer service if the teacher isn't replying to you. Craftsy's whole thing is that these classes are supposed to be interactive and I've always heard that they have good customer service. Might as well test the theory!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Blue. I did finally get a response from the instructor... asking where I left my questions because she couldn't see them in her list. I wrote back right away and told her, but that was hours ago and I've had nothing since. Hmm...

Megumi said...

Wow, it is very interesting. I've never bought a perfect bra which fits me well, even the expensive ones... I'm looking forward to your next report!

Grandma G said...

Hi, Megumi... I'm afraid I don't have anything good to report yet, and I'm very discouraged and frustrated at this point. I've heard from the teacher, who said she couldn't see my original post or photos, so I re-explained things and re-uploaded photos (or tried... they showed up as blank boxes) last night. This morning, that whole discussion had disappeared! AAAARRGGHH!!! I've since left another reply on my original post, hoping she'd get a notification and be able to see the whole thread. If I don't get any response by tomorrow, I'm going to have to contact Craftsy. This is just totally maddening!!

Megumi said...

Hmm. The instructor must be good at sewing, but not dealing with computers, or organaizing online support, I guess? Wish they can help her technically, so that everybody will be happy. Watch some Maru videos and smile!!

Grandma G said...

Well, no progress with the class issues yet. There was no response to my last post, and I haven't contacted Craftsy yet - still have to figure out how to do that!

BUT... I do watch every Maru video... and they always make me smile. :)

Grandma G said...

An update for those of you following... I tried starting a new discussion post in the class... again... and this time I've actually gotten TWO responses already. Not cheering too loudly yet, but at least it's progress. The teacher has seen my photos and commented (told me it was WAY too small), gave me some measuring tips, and now the ball's in my court till I get that done and post back. So I have hope again. I'll keep ya updated on my progress!