Monday, December 14, 2015

Crazy weather

I told you about our snow that began on November 30th. It ended with a total of about 10 inches. I didn't think we'd see bare ground again until spring. But what a difference a week can make! The two pics below were taken exactly a week apart, on Dec. 2nd and 9th. Quite a change, huh? Most of the rest of that snow is gone, too.


The spring-like conditions of the past week have certainly helped shorten the winter!

This morning I woke up and looked out the window and saw this:


(Side note: Look at all that green grass!)



We'd had freezing drizzle overnight, and the strong, gusty winds made the accumulated ice break off the branches in chunks.

The lilac bushes were kind of strange-looking. I don't recall ever seeing ice formed in stripes like this before:


It was still very windy when I took that photo (with the iPad), so it was hard to get a clear shot, but you can see the stripes well enough. The wind blew hard over night, so I'm just guessing that somehow the gustiness of it caused the striping effect. Interesting.

I wonder what the rest of this El Nino winter will bring!

5 comments:

kathy said...

The lilac is cool. We don't usually get winds with our ice storms. I have never seen ice striping. We get our ice storms usually in the next 30 days. About every five years or so.

Grandma G said...

We almost always get winds with our storms. We have a lot of wind when it isn't storming, too. :( I hope you avoid any storms this year, Kathy!

Geneviève said...

You're right about that El Nino, it is really bringing weird weather this winter!

Also, I was wondering if the tall yellow grass we can see in the second picture is your asparagus plants?

Grandma G said...

Yep, that's the asparagus. I always leave it there over the winter, because it's a lot of work to clean the old stalks off, and they come out much easier once they've rotted down and dried. Also, they sometimes cause the snow to pile in drifts onto the garden, so it's good for moisture.

Geneviève said...

I leave most of my plants as is for winter, trimming only what would fall in our driveway with the snow. It is so much easier to remove them in spring and it's a great protection for the plants. I am kind of a lazy gardener, haha!

About the asparagus, I really like how they changed color. It's a great contrast with the grass. If the soil in my yard wasn't so clayey, I would have planted some next year. I'll have to keep enjoying yours through photos! :)