Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fawn update

No, I haven't heard the fawn again. No, I haven't seen it again. BUT... I've seen evidence that it's still around. I found little hoof prints in my garden this morning... alongside bigger hoof prints. Mama's teaching baby where to find good food, just as I figured she would.

It appears that tomato tops were the flavor of choice last night. Only one, fortunately... considering that I only have two to begin with. It'll come back. (And so will the deer.) The beet tops are really too tiny to make a meal out of yet... but they did get tasted. That's all the damage I could see, other than the tops of a couple of wildflowers that I have more than enough of, so no biggie there.

I have a couple different kinds of repellents that I've bought this year, but with all the rain we've had, I haven't used it because it would just get washed off, and I didn't want to waste it. It ain't cheap! I did spray the tomatoes awhile back, but apparently it did get washed off... or the tops outgrew it. They're sprayed again now as of this morning. At least the chance of rain is getting smaller... but it's still there.

Conclusion: The fawn is alive and learning. ;-)

No comments: