Saturday, June 28, 2008

More babies

Last Monday, as I was mowing, I discovered another nest. This one's a mourning dove nest. On Monday, it looked like this:

This is one of the better-built mourning dove nests I've seen. They tend to make really flimsy nests.

Here's how it looked on Thursday (kinda hard to see, but there are 2 babies in there):

We had some wind and rain overnight that night, but I checked yesterday, and the babies had survived nicely.

Unfortunately, the wren abandoned her nest after I took the photo of it. I guess she didn't like my photo session. I feel bad about that. I don't know if the babies would've survived though, anyway. The nest was in what I thought was a kind of poor spot. It was right at the very top of the butterfly bush, with hardly any leaves covering it. I hope mama wren found a better spot and is happily setting on some new eggs. And I'll be a little more careful if I ever find a wren nest again (not saying I won't take pics, though!).

No comments: