Tuesday, November 25, 2008

See what I see!

From our basement window, I kept noticing 'something' way up in a tree south of our driveway.

After several days, I finally remembered when I got upstairs (my memory's pretty short these days) to grab my binoculars and take a closer look.

I do believe it's a baltimore oriole nest! I'd been wanting to find one for a long time, knowing there had to be one around here somewhere, since the orioles are usually here all summer. Sure wish I could see it right up close and see how it's made, but I guess that won't happen unless for some reason the branch falls to the ground. But it's cool to know it's there!

(Click photos to enlarge.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's pretty neat. looks like it's just kinda suspended in the air, the nest must be pretty sturdy.

Grandma G said...

Yep, orioles are quite the nest builders. Their nests are actually hanging "pouches". If you do a Google image search for 'baltimore oriole nests', you can see quite a variety of them, including one that's built using a lot of narrow blue strips of plastic that show up really well, so you can see how they wind the strips around branches to hang the nest from. Really neat!