Tuesday, July 13, 2010

More hungry mouths to feed

This is a nest of nearly-gown barn swallows I happened to notice up in the rafters of our machine shed.

Yep, always hungry!

Below is Papa after making a quick food drop.

And here are Papa on the left (on an old abandoned nest, which if you click to enlarge the pic and look closely you can see has holes in it), and Mama on the right.

Barn swallows are great for eating insects out of the air. They usually follow me around when I'm mowing lawn. I guess I stir up a lot of lunch. They also sometimes have lice, so for that and other obvious reasons, you don't want to stand directly under their nests!

2 comments:

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

Great photos! I've never seen swallows this close. :)

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Claire! I'm happy to give you a "new view". :) Glad you stopped by!