Thursday, July 8, 2010

More oriole news

Remember the baltimore oriole baby we got a glimpse of here? Just a couple of days after that I happened to see this down below the tree!

Yep, he'd either "flown" or fallen down to the ground. I followed him (her?) around, trying to get a pic of him from the front, but he kept hop/flying just a few feet at a time, staying away from me. He finally ended up in the lilac bushes, which is probably a good thing, what with all the cats around here. I did manage to get a few pics of him up there.

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

He kept calling and calling, so I'm sure his parents had no trouble locating him. After a day or two, I no longer heard him, so I don't know what became of him. Hopefully he learned to fly out of harm's way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope it's a clever bird.
Or that your cats just are not hungry.

It's been through a lot already.
I hope it survives to make one of those neat nests.

Dale

The Luedtke Family said...

I hope that a big bird did not eat your little bird!!!! He/she is a beauty.

Grandma G said...

Oh, yeah... I've heard that big birds eat little birds! And that they can be very messy about it... aargh!