Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Carrots, anyone?

I dug my carrots on Sunday, because it got up to 60° and finally was somewhat pleasant outside. I'd been wishing I'd dug them earlier, before the precip and cold temps had set in, but now I'm glad I waited. The conditions were perfect for digging... moist enough to make digging easy, yet the carrots aren't muddy. Yay!

I did get "a few"... with the moist spring we had, I think every single seed grew! And this is minus the ones we've already eaten:


They're just nice-sized, too... a few smaller ones, but nothing humongous... mostly 'just right'.


The wind was coming up and the temp was going down by the time I got out there, though, so I didn't even take the time to take the tops off (it was Sunday, after all), so for the time being they're in a box in the garage, tops and all. We'll see how long I can procrastinate.......

6 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love carrots. Lately, my favorite way is to dip them in some yummy hummus. But now is the season to chop them up and put them in some soup.

Grandma G said...

Yep... definitely soup time here!

Auntie Kris said...

Mmmmm. Candied carrots, and chicken noodle soup!

The Luedtke Family said...

Ours too, picked and not yet stemmed. I believe home grown carrots are sweeter than anything! I used some in beef stew already, so delicious. I like roasted carrots, too.

annie dee said...

Peanut butter and carrots. Yum

Grandma G said...

Peanut butter and carrots? Never heard that one before! I shall give it a try! :)