Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Ground bees revisited

Last week I posted about my mystery bugs which turned out to be ground bees. Even though I watered my flowers in the barrel, thinking I probably drowned out the bees, they dug out their holes again and made them even bigger.


I was able to get some much better shots of the bees. It helped to know that I wasn't going to get stung while I had my camera and my nose practically on top of them.

Just look at all the pollen on those legs!



Their wings beat so fast they become invisible!



The bee below really worked his way around the center of that moss rose (the order I took the photos is counter clockwise starting at the top right).

(Click to enlarge.)


3 comments:

annie dee said...

Beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous photos!!
Those bees probably have quite a nest in the ground of your pot or somewhere nearby.
Audrey

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Audrey! Yeah, I'd like to be able to see what's going on underground!