Monday, July 25, 2016

Surfrider Romper

I've managed a little other sewing besides the Port & Sort Tote. In fact, I'd started this project and had it ALMOST done when I got the pattern to test. Since it wasn't anything urgent, I put it aside until the testing was finished. So I finally finished it a couple days ago. I did take some progress photos along the way.


Yes, it's a garment. Yes, it's little. Very little, but still nearly as much work as making something for an adult. Basically, the seams are shorter. Ha. The bodice is fully lined even.


I made the romper from the pattern I got from Pixie Faire, the Surfrider Sundress & Romper. Here it is on my Kit. It's even for her, as her wardrobe is seriously lacking.


I love how it turned out. It was pretty easy to sew. I only had one problem, and that's that the pattern called for ¼" wide velcro down the front which is supposed to be stitched on from the top side (so you can't see the velcro while you're sewing) on top of topstitching that's already there and catching the velcro underneath. It was just too hard to catch that narrow strip! I ended up with several rows of stitching, none of which caught the velcro sufficiently. I finally ripped out all the stitches and used a wider strip of velcro, and that worked fine. In looking back at the pattern, the photo showing how to do it even had a wider strip in there! Wish I'd noticed that in the first place. Other than that, it was a breeze.

6 comments:

Geneviève said...

How cute is this?! You even got her to pose by your favorite flowers. :) Nice work! Now, since that's a summer outfit, will she get a new one for fall or winter?

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Gen! It did turn out to be a pretty good photo shoot, considering I was just being lazy and not wanting to bother setting up my tent and lights. It was a fast shoot, too, because the breeze was trying to knock her over, and Autumn was "helping" by trying to check everything out. About a second after this shot, she was flat on her back. Ha.

More outfits? Ask me in fall or winter! :)

Jenny said...

Cute romper! She looks ready for some summer fun. I still have my American Girl doll from when I was a kid (almost 30 years ago... Back when there were only three dolls to choose from!), but she doesn't have anything in her wardrobe this cute.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Jenny! Pixie Faire gives away a free pattern every Friday... you could make a whole new wardrobe for your doll! ;) This one wasn't free, though... it was just irresistible. Ha! You have to watch out going to that website - too much cuteness!!

Kris Quilts said...

Super cute! I would have looked at all those buttons and said, "No thanks!" But it's the details that make it so sweet.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Kris! The buttons are only for decoration. There are no buttonholes - it closes with velcro. The buttons could even be left off, as far as that goes. ;) But yeah, they do add to the cuteness. They could even be glued on if you don't like sewing on buttons! :)