Thursday, July 14, 2016

Zip Itself Coin Purse #'s 3, 4, 5

Nearly five years ago (wow, can it be that long already?! I was thinking 2 or 3!), I showed you two little projects I'd made called the Zip Itself Coin Purse(s), from a tutorial found here. It was mainly to show the new ribbons Jess had designed. She's designed a lot more since then (you can see them all, and even her smiling face, here), and she coerced me into making some more of the purses because she loves them so much.

I made this one. For some reason, it got a little wonky and doesn't sit up quite right unless I bend the zipper underneath it. But hey, the ribbon is cute! ;)


Then I made another one, because I was determined to get it right. I did! Here it is, perched on Jess's hand. More cute ribbon!


They're not a quick sew job. The first one I made all those years ago was sewn completely by hand. But I figured out that I could sew at least some of the ribbon to the zipper with the machine and then do the rest by hand. That saved a little time, but they still do take a long time to make. Lots of hand sewing still.

This is how they work, from completely unzipped to zipped into the little pouch.


Delighted that the second one turned out so well, I decided to try just one more... because the ribbon is just so darn cute, right? Look how this one turned out, when I thought I was doing exactly the same thing!


Yes, it's square... and flat! I have no clue why. BUT, Jess loved it and begged to have it. So here's her hand again. I have to admit, it is still pretty cute, despite its "wrong" shape.


So here they are. One "right" out of three.


I won't be making any more. ;-P

I have other finished projects to show you, too. One of them, in fact, is the pattern test I was working on. I still have to take photos of that. And the pattern is undergoing a lot of tweaking, so it isn't quite ready to purchase yet. Soon! Hopefully. :)

17 comments:

Geneviève said...

Even after seeing all them on IG, I still find them so, so cute! You won't see me trying to make one anytime soon though, I'll keep admiring yours instead.

Very nice work, the square one is just as cute as the regular one. ☺

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Geneviève! Yeah, the square one seems to be a hit. I should patent that design! 😜

Geneviève said...

But... Would that mean you would have to do more of those pouches?

Grandma G said...

No. It would just mean I have a patent. My first, BTW. ;-P

Kris Quilts said...

Cute! I love the kitties. Now I have to go figure out how to make these. I have about 100 zippers in my stash right now.

Kris Quilts said...

No wonder you don't want to make more. I bet I could make an entire purse in the time it take to make one of these little confections! Maybe an unlined version...

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Kris! Yeah, now you know. However, the lining isn't so bad once you get the rest of it done. You should try one, at least! And if you do, you have to show me what shape you get! ;)

annie dee said...

I love that you succeed with these really hard and beautiful projects. I get to virtually experience them. I'm with Genevieve though. I wouldn't try one. Love the kitty ribbon too.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Annie Dee! Feel free to enjoy the whole experience vicariously! LOL

Jenny said...

I, too, like the square one best. I'd love to know how you made it come out that way. I'd be more inclined to make a square one! Actually, this sounds like a good road trip project, since it can be completely made by hand... Too bad I don't have any road trips planned. :)

Grandma G said...

I'd love to know how I made it come out square, too, Jenny! Maybe you should plan a road trip.... ;)

LiEr said...

"Tweaking"! Ha! More like major overhauling. I'm supposed to be finishing up Round #4 (FOUR!) of the edits, but of course I'm procrastinating by reading your blog - a good way to procrastinate, if I may say so.

Love those coin pouches! The ribbons are so pretty - are they Jess's? Isn't it strange how that other one turned out non-pyramidal? I suspect it has to do with the length of the zipper. The overall length, I mean, and how it ends. I haven't made one myself, nor have I looked at the tutorial (although I may have it pinned on some board) so it's all guessing. But something to do with odd/even -nessn? My Math/Science brain suspects so, at any rate, even without verifying. If you ever figure out, tell me!

The REAL question is: can the square one hold as many coins as the pyramidal one?

Okay - off to finish editing now. In theory.

Grandma G said...

If you're gonna procrastinate, thanks for choosing my blog to do it on - ha! But then again, does that make me an accomplice for the slower output of the pattern? ;)

Thanks on the pouches! Yes, those are Jess's ribbons. I guess maybe I didn't make that exactly clear in the post. I just assumed you'd assume... :)

The length of the zipper was the same as in the green one, and the ribbon was the same width. I thought I was doing everything exactly the same as I did in the green one, but I must've changed a measurement by a small amount, or something. Anyway, I gave up wondering about it. Ha.

Jess will have to answer the question about how many coins they hold. She has them both now, and I hadn't loaded them up before I sent them to her. :)

Now, get back to that pattern! I'm waiting for the revised version! ;)

annie dee said...

Oh yeah! Grandma G's out on Sewcanshe.com this morning! Congrats! Woooohoooo!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Annie Dee! That was fun to wake up to!

Linda C said...

Cute! I need to try this one out.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Linda! Yes, try one! I'd love to see it if you do.