Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's spring!

So why do we have a Winter Storm Watch for tonight through tomorrow? Aargh. (Late afternoon update: It has been downgraded to a Snow Advisory. Still up to 5 inches possible, though. Yuck!) (Friday morning update: Snow missed us again - YAY!!)

But, the calendar does say it's the first day of spring, and the birds must agree. Our lawn was covered with robins early this morning. Here's a not-very-good photo of one of them:

I also saw one blackbird perched at the top of a tree and many geese flying overhead, and I heard a meadowlark singing this morning. I also heard a killdeer last night.

That's not all I heard last night. At about 11:15 I heard heifers bellering, sounding suspiciously like they were not where they were supposed to be. A dreaded look out the window told me my suspicions were correct. They were tearing around all over the place... kicking up their heels from spring fever, I guess. :-(

We have plenty of mud from melting snow as it is, and the ground is thawing and soft. So this is what it looks like after dozens of hefty heifers had been dancing across the lawn and yard.

Nothing like a little early plowing, huh? Here one slid down the slope through my sprouting sedum.

At least they sorta spared the lawn directly in front of the house, but they covered everything else pretty thoroughly. Thank goodness for a son and a 4-wheeler, or they'd still be running around. 1:00 a.m. was late enough to be out chasing the dumb critters as it was.

"Hey, it wasn't us!"

No comments: