Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Garden produce

I thought I'd give you a peek at my garden, although I took these photos over a week ago, and with the heat we've been having, things have really matured fast, so it doesn't quite look like this anymore. :)

The tomatoes had just started ripening nicely:


Several weeks of dry weather followed by the big rain we got, though, caused a lot of them to crack, even while green:


They're ripening really fast now, and I've picked a lot of them.

Here are the whole plants, over 6 feet tall in their super-duper tomato cages. All the moisture we had in the early part of the summer, however, caused a rather big leaf spot problem, as you can see at the bottoms of the plants, and it's gotten considerably worse in the last week:


My cantaloupe/muskmelons have done well, considering I only have 2 plants. There are about a dozen of them out there. We've already started eating this one... it got huge, and it's yummy!


My one butternut squash plant has produced well, too:


I have tons of green bell peppers from my 4 plants. Two of them are supposed to produce red peppers. I've forgotten which ones are which, so I'll just have to wait and see! However, if I wait long enough, they'll all turn red, anyway.


With the wet spring we had, I think every carrot seed grew. I'll have an abundant crop there! The onions have bent over and started to dry down:


Here's something in the wildflower bed that I didn't plant!


It's a Rainbow! I usually find her out there in the mornings. She still hides out from the other cats a lot. :(


She's bigger than a muskmelon. :)

3 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

Those all look so beautiful and I'm sure they will be very tasty!!

annie dee said...

That's an excellent quantity of stuff you got from those plants! Makes me want to try a tomato plant or two this year (in So Florida, you don't *start* tomatoes till Oct/Nov - which is incredibly weird to me).

Grandma G said...

Everything's been very tasty so far! And it's all ripening so fast now in this heat... I just picked 3 more muskmelons this morning!

That does seem weird, Annie Dee! But do try a tomato plant. That's the one thing I'd really hate to give up if I quit gardening. Fresh-from-the-garden is sooooo much better than from the store!