Thursday, September 11, 2014

More hummers

I've tried a few more times to get some really great hummingbird shots. I stood out on the deck a couple of feet from the feeder, hoping they'd be brave and come while I was out there. Well, one did. I could hear him buzzing humming around checking me out. I focused the best I could and waited. He came, but the instant I pressed the shutter button, he took off, and I ended up with this:


They are so FAST! I swear he heard that click and took off faster than the shutter closed! I tried several times, because he kept coming back, but I just ended up with more goofy shots, like this:


I gave up and went inside and tried a few shots through the window with the telephoto lens. Not too bad....


.... but just not as crisp and clear as being out there with them. (Of course a cleaner window would've helped.)


A couple days later, there was a young male who kept perching on the twine that was holding the feeder. Very unusual! I've never seen one do that before!


He kept leaving and returning. Maybe that was his way of claiming the feeder for his own.


4 comments:

happyone said...

Wow you got some great shots there.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Happyone!

annie dee said...

I imagine the only better way is to put the camera on a tripod and get a remote shutter activation thing. These are great photos.

Grandma G said...

Thanks! But wouldn't they still hear the shutter click if I used a remote?