Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Easy Macro shots, Part 2

As I was taking a photo of an iris bloom one day, this little bug (later found to be a hoverfly) seemed very busy on the flower. I got a very cool macro video of it actually picking up a tiny raindrop and drinking it - amazing! Unfortunately, I haven't had time to figure out if I can post that type of video file on here or not. Meanwhile, here's a photo of the hoverfly that's what... a quarter-inch long(?). Its irridescent wings were so pretty!


Speaking of bugs, as I bent down to take a macro pic of this tiny less-than-a-quarter-inch weed bud, through the lens I discovered an itsy-bitsy spider very busily spinning a web between this and another bud. I didn't even know such small spiders existed!


Below is a tiny baltimore oriole feather stuck on the oriole feeder:


If you look at the left edge of the feeder below, you can see how tiny the feather was. There's even a fly for comparison.


Here's another fly (upper left corner) on my snow on the mountain bloom. It's not a macro shot, but....


.... this shot is (minus the fly):


In my wildflower bed, the bachelor buttons are beginning to bloom. This is a macro shot of a bud:


Here's the center of the same bud after it opened in the rain:


That's it for Easy Macro shots for now. I'll show you more another time. Hope you enjoyed them, and my apologies for the repeats to those of you who do see them on Instagram.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of good photos and I love the kitten shots. I hope the rest of the cats don't have any encounters with the raccoons. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

So much beauty in tiny things! I especially like the bachelor button bud.
Thanks for sharing!
Gwen

Grandma G said...

Thank you, ladies! :) So far so good on the raccoon problem, Bonnie!

Geneviève said...

So you've been photobombed by insects recently.. A spider, then a fly! :D

Grandma G said...

Yeah... and I hope they keep it up, as they turn out pretty interesting sometimes! :)