Thursday, September 4, 2008

Weekend project

Jess 'n Alex came to spend the Labor Day weekend with us. Jess and I like to work on "projects" when we get together. I thought of one she could help me with this time, inspired by one of her own blog posts. I thought if she could recover a chair seat, she would be able to help me recover the lid of this hamper.

It's a hamper we got as a wedding gift over 38 years ago. I've always liked it and hated to part with it, so I've been ignoring the growing cracks in the vinyl top for many years.

I had some fabric (that Jess designed) left from making my bathroom curtains last March so I decided it would make a good hamper cover and would of course match the curtains nicely. We also decided that white would be a better color for the hamper than the dark wood grain, so Jess brought along some spray paint for plastic.

It was a beautiful day on Saturday, and we went to work. Since Jess was already experienced, having spray painted a file cabinet, I gave her the honors of doing the hamper. She did a great job!

I guess I forgot to take pics of recovering the lid. Jess had also brought along some iron-on vinyl, which I ironed onto the fabric, then we took apart the lid and replaced the cracked vinyl with the new covering. It was really pretty simple. Here's how it turned out.

We had fun, and I'm really happy with my "new" hamper!

Oh, yeah... back when I was making the curtains last March, I had great help! Here's my beloved assistant.

Soooo helpful! She slept through the hamper job, though.

No comments: