Monday, August 6, 2012

Renters

Grandpa and I are getting old. 'Getting'! We're not there yet! At least I'm not... he'll have to speak for himself. ;) Anyway, as part of the process of preparing for retirement, Grandpa and his two brothers who all three together own a dairy, have sold the cows. They're not all gone yet, but should be by the end of the month. It's going to be a major change when there's no more milking to do! A major, major, MAJOR change!

The guys always raised their own heifers for future milking, and they were kept at our place before having their calves. They were all holsteins, and here's an old photo of a few of them. I had taken it because I particularly liked the marking on the face of the center one.


Since the guys decided to quit milking some time ago, they stopped keeping the heifer calves and sold them instead. So our cattle yards and pasture have been empty for a while.

Not any more! We have renters in the pasture. It looks kinda strange to look out and see this kind of heifers.



They are angus (black) and charolais (white). I think. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

It remains to be seen if there will be more beef cattle in our yards in the future. Decisions are yet to be made.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the one with unusual face markings should have been named Icicle.

Dale

Change is a blowin' in the wind.

The Luedtke Family said...

Wow, now that is some big news. Courtney will have more animals to chronicle and visit. Hope things work out will and the timing is right and all falls into place as expected.

Grandma G said...

Great name, Dale!

Thanks, Becky! I'll keep ya posted!

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a change indeed! I think you should have "oreo cookie" (Belted Galloways) cows. They are my favorites. We first saw them in Rhode Island, and then a couple of years ago we saw some on a trip to the coast. I might add a picture of them to Really Random this week.